cinema 4d or maya

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by diehardmacfan, Apr 17, 2007.

1. diehardmacfan macrumors regular

hi everyone

i have been using 3ds max on a windows machine for almost a year

i will be getting a mac pro soon and since i am an apple fanatic i want to use mac 3d design software.

i have narrowed down my choices between cinema 4d and maya

i would like some feedback on which application is better

also if anyone has any experience with 3ds max, I am wondering which application would be easier to switch to

2. justG macrumors member

justG

It depends on what you're doing with it. Some random points to consider:

- Without in any way speaking to the actual capabilities/power of each application, I think it's safe to say that in the entertainment (film production, video game development) industry, C4D is still a hobbyist's tool. Maya most certainly is not. So if you know Maya, you're automatically more marketable.

- Since Autodesk now owns both 3ds max and Maya, theoretically, they will play nicely with each other. I wouldn't look for the integration that Adobe has achieved with Macromedia's apps in CS3, but still, I remember reading about some UI changes (customisable, of course) in Maya that would make it easier for 3ds max users to transition.

If I were buying for myself, I'd go with C4D. It looks quite powerful, with a learning curve that isn't as steep as Maya's. But if I were angling for a job, I'd get Maya, no question.

Hope that helps.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

As you have experience in 3Dmax, I say go for Maya. Cinema has a different way of working.
    I find Maya tricky as I come from an Infini-D background and find Cinema easy.
    I just can't get my head round Blender either.:eek: :(
    I'm waiting for them to release a new book.

4. nickel macrumors newbie

Well, if you come from any 3D software to another you're going to have heaps of teething problems and not to mention the "Damn it! It was so much easier in *so and so softwares*"

Although if you want to develop your own talents and make it viable for jobs in the future, Maya is the way to go. Although some places I know of use 3ds max.

But coming from my experience with Maya, it actually runs better on windows. There were quite a few Mac pains I had with keyboarding and mouse that I didn't get when running it on my PCs.

Well, that's my two cents.

5. diehardmacfan thread starter macrumors regular

hi thanks for your responses

I will mainly be using the 3d application (either maya or cinema 4d) for modeling separate things like houses and web design for a job. I will also be putting 3d designs into video that i do using final cut studio 2. I was wondering which of the two 3d graphic programs are compatable with apple final cut pro and motion.

thanks for all your help