Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jenare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Hi everybody !

Someone has given me this very beautiful Original Apple Cinema Display 22 inch (1999/2000) which is rare because it has a DVI-D connector. It's this one : http://www.everymac.com/monitors/apple/studio_cinema/specs/apple_cinema_display.html

I'd like to use it with my Macbook Pro from 2011, which has a Mini Display Port, with an adapter. I've seen that the ADC Displays works fine with a DVI to ADC adapter, but mine is very rare so it's very difficult to find informations, and I'm not sure that it's compatible with newest Macs.

So, if somebody has ever made the experience, I'd like to know the result ! I would like to test by myself but unfortunately, I do not have the power adapter… And I don't want to buy one (which is difficult to find) if I know that I won't be able to use it…

Thanks in advance for you answers !

PS : I'm French, so if I have a bad english, please excuse me :D

ratbastard

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2015
Jenare,
It is a beautiful display. I have the exact same one connected to my 2011 MacBook Pro. Before that, I used it with a G4 PowerBook. Quality displays are not inexpensive. To get this one for the cost of the DVI to ADC & Mini DisplayPort adapters is money well spent.

ratbastard

Jenare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
So, you can confirm that the very first acrylic Apple Flat Cinema Display, with a DVI-D, port is compatible with new Macs, with a Mini DisplayPort adapter ? Thank you very much ! As you have probably noticed, this model is very rare… Impossible to find informations about it. I was not able to test it yet, but I'm sure that I will be satisfied of the quality… Even with a such old display !

Now, I need to find a power adapter. Is it the one that I need ? I believe that the answer is yes but I'm not sure.
922-3943.jpg

Do you know when I can find this kind of stuff ? If I but it New, it would be too expensive. If I buy it on eBay, shipping price to France is more expensive that the adapter itself… Plus, it's very rare. There are only two for sale on eBay…

Thank you !!

ratbastard

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2015
The cable I am using is the Apple Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter, which is available on the Apple OnLine Store (the U.S. store, anyway). It also includes a USB Connector to utilize the two USB ports on the back of the display.

ratbastard

Jenare

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 31, 2015
Do you think I really need to use this adapter ? Because, le connector seems to be a Single Link DVI-D. So, would it work with a single link adapter (which is really cheaper that a Dual-Link) ?

Thanks

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
You don't need a DL adapter for the 22" Cinema-a regular single link will work fine. None of the acrylic displays require a DL port.

I've used my 22" ADC display plenty of times with my MBP(via the A1006 ADC-DVI adapter) using just the cheap DVI adapter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.