Cinema Display 23 - good price?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by .chris., Jun 7, 2009.

1. .chris. macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

this Cinema Display is offered on ebay Germany for EUR 433,-

http://cgi.ebay.de/Apple-Cinema-Dis...66:2|39:1|72:1229|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I guess this is not a bad price and worth it; I live in Germany so the shipping costs would not be too high either. Do you think Apple will introduce a matte LED Cinema Display in the next three months and prices on the old 23 Cinema Displays will drop significantly?

Edit: When was the LED Display introduced? If it happenend in January, we might see a matte option in 1/2010? In this case I wouldn't want to wait and go for the 23 Cinema Display.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Apple seems to be only offering matte on the MBPs very grudgingly, so I wouldn't hold my breath on a matte external display. If you don't want to go the apple route, hp makes the LP2475W for significantly less than what apple wants for their LCD, plus it's a matte finish.

3. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...I just picked up an HP2408w for $249 and I'm happy with it so far:D

4. HerbyGunther macrumors member

Is the Cinema 23 new or old? If new it is certainly worth it! I had mine a few monthes ago (new) for 700Eur. Love it! The display quality is perfect. The new LED one is nice, but I think I prefer the matte one.

5. Moriarty macrumors 6502

The HP LP2475w has a very good reputation, and you'll probably be able to find a new one for cheaper (or about the same price) as that second hand ACD. It uses a newer, superior H-IPS panel (same as the 24 inch LED ACD) except without the LED backlight. Matte finish. Also comes with much more connectivity, ie displayport, component I think...

Just make sure you get one with advertised viewing angles of 178 degrees, I think there is another, much cheaper model, without the "w" suffix that uses a TN panel. If a viewing angle of 178 degrees is listed, it's definitely not TN though, so should be H-IPS unless HP have started to use PVA panels.

I wouldn't want to get a second hand LCD because, depending on age and use, the CCFL backlights might have dimmed significantly already so you'll have a much shorter useful lifespan than you would otherwise have.