Cinema Display 23'': stuck pixel, any advise?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by vannibombonato, Feb 26, 2008.

1. vannibombonato macrumors 6502

Dears,
    just purchased an ACD 23 (yes i know they are oldish tech, yes i know they are overpriced, yes i know how good it looks in my living room).

I am totally amazed by it, but as per subject, i do have a problem. A nasty, lonely pixel stuck on green right in the middle of the screen.
    I didnt notice in the first few hours until i started seeing a movie, first scene where it's all black and bam here is the green fella staring at me.

Now...i'm trying the various techniques (software flashes, tapping, etc.), but yesterday night my first tries didnt went well. We'll try again tonight...but i'm scared it might just stay there.

As i have just purchased, i was wondering:
    1- Anyone has any particular hint on how to fix stuck pixels on an ACD?
    2- What do you suggest? Ship it back (and wait...) to Apple for an exchange, or live with it? I do understand its quite a common problem with any LCD...but i had an iMac for 2 years without a single broken pixel, cant i have the same on the ACD?

What i dont want to happen is to go through the hassle of shipping it back, only to recieve a new one with the same problem...

Thanks for advices.

Vanni

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Apple won't exchange for only one dead pixel; it needs to be four-six...

Search mac.softpedia.com for a stuck pixel utility. Or Google it. I know there's even a Dashboard widget designed to unstick pixels! I have no idea if they work, as I've never had any, but they wouldn't be recommended if they didn't.

3. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Indeed Apple will not replace it for one stuck pixel. The good news is that it is "stuck" and not dead. JscreenFix may very well be all you need to revive the stuck pixel.

Alternatively, you may want to try applying gentle pressure on the screen to the area of the affected pixel as explained here. I was able to fix a stuck pixel on my prior 20" Core Duo iMac in that manner. I would be VERY careful trying this though and only try it if JscreenFix didn't work.

4. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yup just try very gentle pressure on the area, maybe with a cloth or something soft...

not sure if you do it with the screen on or off??

5. vannibombonato thread starter macrumors 6502

I had tried all this yesterday...i'll try again.
    Well...worst thing i would say is that there will be a few more pixels dead...

6. GCY macrumors regular

If u just purchased it(under 14 days?) take it to the apple store and say its defective. I don't see why they wouldn't replace it for free.

7. vannibombonato thread starter macrumors 6502

It is by far under 14 days...its just that i would have to ship it back etc. (no Apple stores here).
    My doubt is really whether i would be doing all this only to find out that the new one has dead-stuck pixels as well...the more i look into forums, the more this looks to be something like unavoidable.

Ill give a last day with JJScreenfix, then i'll see what to do.

Thanks,

Vanni