Cinema Display 27"

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jarlag, Mar 9, 2011.

1. jarlag macrumors newbie

Does anyone hear of any rumors about Apple updating the Cinema Display which currently has 3-USB 2.0 ports on the back to a newer version which will incorporate Thunderbolt?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

As a general proposition, it is a waste of time to speculate about future Apple products. People who know don't tell and the people who tell don't know. That said, rumors do manage to get out of One Infinity Loop. However, the only rumor about Apple monitors that you ever hear is the one about Apple producing a flat screen TV. IIRC, that one popped-up again last week for the 15th time.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

4. Iskender macrumors newbie

Hi everybody!

I'm planning to buy a macbook pro 13" and get rid of my iMac 24" because its said that its approaching the end of a cycle (additionally it works slower than ever despite upgrading the RAM) and buy Apple Cinema Display. So I looked to the buyers guider here but it says don't buy iMac and Neutral about Cinema Display even if Apple released them on same time. How do you think will Apple release the new display soon with thunderbolt? And as I understand after release of Lion Cinema Display will be produced with retina display. I'm messed, advise me please

5. jarlag thread starter macrumors newbie

So you think there will be a retina display next year?

6. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

No chance. The resolution required would be astronomically high. A 27" Retina Display? We're years off.

7. jarlag thread starter macrumors newbie

So it is safe to say that the Cinema Display as it is today won't be phased out any time soon with a better technology?

8. alfonsog macrumors 6502

alfonsog

Sometimes they make small changes to the displays but don't say anything. Sometimes they change the whole lineup and announce it. Sometimes they reduce the price drastically and barely say anything (30" dropped from 3000 to 1800 in 2005.)
    This is the first time they have only had 1 display available. If thunderbolt becomes very popular they may add another port (or keep it as the terminal device always). They may redo the whole line and add models. It went years before they added the 24" with no changes, then forever for the update to 27". There is no way to tell what they are going to do with the display. It could get phased out tomorrow. Buy what you need and just expect it to work as a monitor for your apple computer only.

I have the 24" it is the best monitor I've ever had. I had the dell one before it and I never used all the other connectors, card readers, extra crap but it didn't have the Apple's few extra features like the speakers and webcam which I actually used. I like Apple's simplicity. I wish they would design a home theater receiver or tv because mine has 1000 features I never use and horrendous ui.

9. awesomebase macrumors regular

Updates

I'm no expert, but I would think that the graphics capabilities would need to be present at both the laptop and desktp level first before the monitor is updated. So, you may see the next Mac Pro able to provide 3840 x 2160 or 5120 x 2880 resolution through new video cards, but no "monitors" available yet to take advantage of that (I'm talking mainstream monitors, not the kind used for medical devices, etc.).
    However, updates to the laptops in terms of resolution seem to be forthcoming and once they're updated, I imagine it wouldn't be too much longer before the 27" iMac and display are updated as well.
    Just keep in mind that a major advantage such as super-high resolution is going to come out in their "Pro" models first.
    It would be pretty sweet to have a 27" display or iMac with 5120 x 2880 resolution!!
    Last thing, OS X Lion is rumored to have resolution-neutral capability built-in, so timing may also be a function of when the new OS is released as well. I'd bet that the Mac Pros would get the capability around the time the new OS is introduced or perhaps in the fall and then quickly followed by the MacBook Pro and Air lines along with the iMacs within a year (and probably 2 years or so for the Mac Mini).
    Again, that's just a guess... retina-type displays may not become a reality at all in anything beyond an iPad...

10. flynz4 macrumors 68040

My wish list:

A MacBook Air with a new Magsafe power connector with TB interface included... allowing a single magnetic connection for power, and 100% external connectivity to a high res ACD, external storage, and network.

/Jim

11. Iskender macrumors newbie

Thanks guys

Good foresight. Now I'm going to sell my 24" iMac and buy 27" Apple Cinema Display :)

12. IceMacMac macrumors 6502

Apple has been becoming more like Sony each year...moving towards consumer products. There are billions $ to make in tvs.

Plus the Infinite Loop sells more iTunes content if they get people to buy an Apple-branded TV with iTunes ecosystem built in.