Cinema Display 30" problem

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ulvan, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Ulvan macrumors newbie

Hi

I have a 30 inch Cinema Display from 2006-ish. I have not used it for a while and when i powered it up again a few days ago it was kind of broken.
    There is no image from my Mac, only these vertical lines (check the photos). The lines change a bit if I move a window around and using a different Mac does not help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/69744417@N06/15415125321/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/69744417@N06/15231698748/

The screen itself appears to be intact. Does anyone know of anything I can try to get it fixed? Or replace a part or two?

2. eduardrw macrumors 6502

3. viettanium macrumors regular

Please bring it to your local Apple Authorized Service Provider. Exchange unit for a lower cost. (~$1000)

4. gugy macrumors 68030

Weird, I would say to check the video card but since you connected to a different Mac and the problem still there, then maybe you should look into what connector you are using to hook to a computer.

5. Ulvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Have tried multiple macs, so I don´t think my video card is the problem. And I contacted my local Apple dealer and they only offered me a new 27" LED Cinema Display for full price.

I use the same connection adapter that eduardrw linked to. And I have actually tried another one and the same problem occured.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to try next?

6. eduardrw macrumors 6502

Did you connect the USB part of the connector too?
    I need that on mine for the iMac to recognize the display.

Does the mac recognize the display if you go into settings - display.

If all of that does not work you have
    1. Validated it is not the graphics card using multiple computers.
    2. Validated its not the dual-dvi adapter - using a known good one

Than it is the display itself.
    Sorry to say that but I am sure it is not economical to repair it.

7. Ulvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Connected the USB part of the cable to, and the Mac recognizes the display, I can change the resolution and brightness and so on.

Maybe there is a circuit board or a wire of some sort I can try and replace, that COULD help?

8. Ulvan thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually had the original power supply die on me about 18-20 months ago, and replaced it with a "home made" solution as the one in the link http://pixelchimp.net/blog/pixel-chimp/replacement-power-supply-apple-cinema-display (the same as you provided) and I am confident that this is not the problem.

I could try and replace the entire cable coming from the monitor to see if it is the problem, and at the same time I have the monitor open I could have a look around and see if anyting does not look right.

Or if anyone have some other ideas, that would be welcomed.

9. Ulvan thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Ulvan thread starter macrumors newbie

Today I opened the monitor, checked the connections, cleaned some dust and so on, aaaaaaaand, no change... :(

Is it possible that one of the circuit board is the problem? Or maybe the entire cable coming from the monitor?

Quite desperate and tired at this point. Considering throwing the whole thing away...