Cinema Display. Buy Now Or Wait?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shishkabob, Aug 31, 2008.

1. shishkabob macrumors newbie

I am a graphic designer. I am constantly having to upgrade my computers and computer software. It's been three years since my last purchase, and I'm looking to buy a new computer.

I have my heart set on the new 30" Apple Cinema HD Display. I currently own a Power Mac G5, 23" FLAT PSYST. It's time to upgrade, but I'm hesitant to do so. There have been some rumors going around that Apple is going to upgrade their LED displays soon. What exactly is this upgrade? When is it going to come out?

It seems like every time I purchase a new Apple product, a month later they come out with something bigger and better. So what I want to know is, first, my previous questions, and this: Should I buy the 30" display now, or is it worth the wait?

Your advice, comments and insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

They haven't been updated for about two years. Apple really doesn't care about them, so just get what you want now and be happy.

3. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Your Mac will work with any display with a VGA or DVI connector. I recommend one from Dell instead - they are MUCH better value for money.

4. CharlieKirk macrumors 6502

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Seeing as he is a graphic designer, and isn't just getting the 30 for screen space, I'd go with the ACD, as you need the color.

5. wako macrumors 65816

I'm going to have to disagree with you on that. Seeing as how he is a graphic designer he also probably knows from monitor to monitor, all their colors are different and he probably has a colorimeter to calibrate his monitors.

Whether he buys an ACD or a Dell, all monitors need to be calibrated if is going to be used for professional work.

6. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

As both the Apple and Dell use IPS panels (and likely the same IPS panel), their performance will in general be close and which is better will likely vary panel by panel if you're just going to use it out of the box as-is.

Assuming you will actually perform a calibration, their performance should be more or less identical. The Dell certainly offers more features for the extra money while the Apple has the benefit of simplicity thanks to a single cable coming out the back.

There are hot and heavy rumors Apple will be launching new ACDs within the next 30-60 days, but as noted, it has been many years since Apple has updated the units.

So if you are buying right now and can't wait months, I would recommend the Dell or NEC units, myself, in terms of value per dollar and "future-proofing".

7. BraveArts macrumors member

BraveArts

Of course there´s always Samsung, who are one of the only manfacturers who actually make lcd screen, and LG who both offer 30" screens with higher spec than the ACD. Don't look as pretty, granted, but they'll both do the same job for considerably less money. Have to agree with the others too that the Dell screen is excellent for quality, even if it is Dell.