Cinema Display Dead? Any one else with this problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by computerman-8, Nov 22, 2010.

1. computerman-8 macrumors member

After 2 and a half years, my 23" Cinema Display just stopped working. All USB ports, firewire ports and the monitor itself. Now, I try to connect it to my MacBook Pro again and I notice the light on the screen goes on for 1 second and then shuts off. Still nothing displaying. I'm assuming its some hardware problem and that the display is giving up. I find it frustrating that paying around 1000$ for a screen like this just gives up in this short time.
    Is there any one else that this happened to?
    How much is a hardware repair on these screens?
    Do you think theres a way to make Apple give a discount on a new one or something?

2. ShiftClick macrumors regular

ShiftClick

applecare?

You mentioned in your post that it is only 2.5 years old. Wouldn't it still be covered by applecare?

If you are not covered by applecare I would suggest your local authorized apple repair shop. Sounds like a power supply issue so hopefully it's not that expensive. Good Luck

3. computerman-8 thread starter macrumors member

Unfortunately I didn't take applecare on it, I did some research and it seems like it's a 400$ repair.. ouch

4. Eclipse278 macrumors regular

most cinema display issues are with the power supply, so hopefully you can get away with just a new one of those for like $80.

5. bartsphoto macrumors member

I just had that happen

I Just had that happen to me this week on my 2007 23'' display I Just see the flashing light going on for like 2/3 times and then it stops and it starts up again.
    I went to the apple store and it work for them they said they will give me a new power brick so they did I took it home and it still dont work.
    So i am taking it back for round 2 this time I took a video of it.