Cinema display due for a revamp?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zRedbullz, Sep 21, 2008.

1. zRedbullz macrumors regular

zRedbullz

Hello,

I would like to buy a 20'' Apple Cinema display.

Before I buy, does anyone know if the cinema displays are due for a revamp or re-design this year or next?

Have Apple fixed the dead pixel problem with the displays, as I heard back in the beginning of '07?

Thanks!

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you would search the forums you would know that the ACDs are due for a refresh as it has been ages since they've done anything significant. When? No one knows and any answers you get that give any definitive date will be speculation based on rumors and not actual fact.

3. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

Doesn't sound particularly promising or suggestions there will be a revamp this year.

I guess I'll go ahead with it, as I hear it is a good monitor still. What about the dead pixel question?

4. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Pardon my ignorance, but what are the shortcomings of the current displays? Are they missing something important?

5. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

HDCP.

OP buy a Dell.

6. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

So what Dell do you suggest then? A 22'' Ultrasharp?

Am I wasting my money pay nearly £400 for a 20'', rather than a £240 22'' Dell?

7. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

They're quite expensive in comparison to others, the buyers guide says that an update is usually a price drop.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

They have just one input. Other similarly priced displays have a huge array of inputs like component, HDMI, displayport and composite but Apple sticks to just a single DVI.

9. wako macrumors 65816

i just wish they were cheaper and more inputs

10. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

I haven't seen/heard any real dead pixel complaints, so i wouldn't worry about that. Isn't there a difference between the 20 and 23/30 inch displays in terms of "HD" imaging? If you go with the 20" I think you might not be getting a true "HD" monitor...just something to consider.

11. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

It's not so much a case of not getting 'true' HD as not getting HD at all with the 20in.

Mine has a dead pixel; to make matters worse, I bought when they first came out; I paid £1000 for my 20in :(

andy.

12. Elven macrumors 6502a

Elven

I am holding back on buying an ACD, sooo tempted to purchase a 23' ACD... plans keep changing but OCT 14TH could see my plans settle.

13. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

I've already ordered a 20'' ACD - For what I use, a 23'' display would be utter utter madness and I ain't paying £500+ for a display unless I was a professional doing it for a living.

Elven, why are you holding out until the 14th Oct? I thought only new Macbooks are being released?

14. zRedbullz thread starter macrumors regular

zRedbullz

Bugger me - you paid nearly a £1000. I paid just a little over £350 for my newly ordered 20'' display. I've read early displays were prone to dead pixels, but not so much with newer displays.

Are dead pixels something you can spot right away, or over a period of time?

15. maelstromr macrumors 6502

maelstromr

If you're waiting to see what happens I believe the news threads suggested waiting for MWSF in early 2009 rather than October. I wouldn't expect much out of displays any sooner than that. Of course, one could always wait for the next best tech to come out and as a result never have any tech. I think I'm happy with my 20" acrylic style display until something happens to the line-up. Almost 5 years on that baby and not one dead or stuck pixel! (knock on wood)

16. designed macrumors 6502

designed

I went through the same process myself in April when I got my 30" ACD, back then there were rumours about a May refresh or so. Afterwards it's easy to say it was a good decision since the refresh didn't happen.

I'd suggest you go out to a store and take a real life look at the ACD and the competition and choose accordingly. 'Believe your eyes' is a good guiderope on this matter ;)