Cinema Display help please :S

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by matt9339, Oct 26, 2009.

1. matt9339 macrumors newbie

Straight to the point, I am looking to buy a monitor to go with my unibody macbook 13" but to throw a spanner in the works the HDTV in my computer room died at the weekend so now i need something that not only works with my macbook but also plays nice with a PS3 and cable TV box (im a HD movie whore so quality is paramount). I was looking at the cinema display but the price and lack of HDMI has scared me off though if someone could assure me a DVI to HDMI converter would still give me great results then I may still be interested as from what ive heard an LED cinema display for that price is great value. Has anyone actually got a PS3 or Xbox hooked up to a cinema display and what are the results like either for the console or for TV?

Away from apple what are the best alternatives? My budget it relative from £200+ though I definitely want the best "bang for my buck", something that will work great with my macbook and get me on CoD4 in HD :p
    Any advice would be hugely appreciated :)

2. brendu macrumors 68020

id look at the 24 inch dell or 23 inch hp monitors.. they are great, they have vga, dvi, and hdmi... if your cable box has hdmi out, it could work.... ive got the dell and have my macbook via dvi, xbox via vga, and then the hdmi for direct tv... they all look excellent, very happy with it.

3. KidMoe85 macrumors member

4. matt9339 thread starter macrumors newbie

http://accessories.euro.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=uk&l=en&s=bsd&cs=ukbsdt1&sku=A2565114

Looked around a bit on dells website on 24 inchers' and found this at an excellent price, i could almost buy 3 of these for the price of the cinema display :O
    Sorry for the 'nooby' questions but I know nothing about displays, I assume this would work fine with a macbook as it supports up to 2560 by 1600 though there is no mention on limitations in terms of aspect ratio's, would it scale ok?
    Finally, are there any serious benefits of paying the extra for apples display :/ How much does the LED display make a difference for someone who doesn't do serious photo-editing because thats the only real difference I can see besides the isight and magsafe but im not paying hudreds extra for that novelty.