Cinema Display Idea

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Boika, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Boika macrumors regular

Not sure if anyone has posted this idea before but what the heck, for a new model of the ACD wouldn't it be neat if they put the same accelerometer (i think thats what its called ) technology that is in the iphone and ipod touch, and have it on a swivel mounted stand so that you can swing it into portrait mode as easy as you can adjust the viewing angle of it (but to the side obviously) and have the contents of the screen rotate into portrait mode automatically aswell ... But yeah just a nifty feature id like to see on an ACD, anyone agree?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Not really - I've had a portrait-capable display for years, and have never really seen the point. I tried it in portrait format once (it swivels on the stand), just for the heck of it, but have left it in landscape mode ever since...

Just my 0.02

3. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

I believe you can put a connected display into portrait mode if you so desire. I recall it being an option of some sort in display preferences. Not an accelerometer, but much the same idea, you just manually click it into a different orientation.

Edit: It's in Displays in System Preferences when you have an external display connected, just tried on my Mac mini - bad idea, haha, luckily it allowed me to revert as i couldn't work out how to control the mouse. But it's there.

4. Boika thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, when i thought of the idea i was thinking of someone (like me) who does both video and image editing and uses a dual display, and with the new leopard "spaces" it could come in handy as you swap back and forth from editing that image you need for your video instead of going back and forth into system prefences and changing the setting you could just shortcut to the "image editing" space you have set up and with one quick motion flip your screen around and do your little photo touchup, it will also come in handy for those who cant afford to have a seperate display to use in portrait mode and want to easily be able to edit both portrait and landscape images on the one display (full screen) so its just a matter of flipping the screen up or down or something :p

5. machatch macrumors regular

machatch

Not the best idea...
    But not a bad idea!;)it shure would be nifty..:)

6. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

7. stephenc92 macrumors regular

stephenc92

Having an accelerometer in a MacBook with a swivel screen might work.

8. hollywoodmacguy macrumors regular

how 'bout just new ACDs??

at this point, more than three years after their introduction and with only a couple of minor spec upgrades and (needed) price drops, i would be more than happy simply with refreshed or redesigned ACDs...

and, in a sign of extreme eagerness, even just a rumor that something new was coming from :apple: on this front would be exciting at this point!! :rolleyes: