Cinema Display needs a price drop

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bungiefan89, Jul 26, 2011.

1. bungiefan89 macrumors 6502a

Now, I'm not Steve Jobs, but if I were, I would drop the price of the T-bolt Cinema Display pronto and here is why...

T-bolt Cinema Display = (27" iMac - a few ports, computer parts and $700)

No smaller or bigger screen options, just what is essentially a 27" iMac without the computer parts. For One Thousand Dollars?

Now, let's suppose you were to get back those computer parts as economically as possible... by purchasing a new T-bolt Mac Mini! That brings our price up to $1,600. Of course, that would be a stupid decision to buy such a combination, because for only $100 more you may as well have just gotten the low-end 27" iMac and got a keyboard and mouse, twice the hard drive space, a CD drive, a MUCH better processor and graphics card, and fewer cords to deal with!

Now, if Apple sold a display without such excesses like a webcam and an ethernet port and an ambient light sensor, they could probably bring the price down to at least $750, right? Maybe they could bring the price even lower if they also offered a smaller size... or even a bigger size.

Just don't feel the new T-bolt Cinema Displays are a good deal at the stone-faced price of $1,000. Seems kind of harsh for the people with Mac Minis or laptops, or anyone who wants another display for their Mac. Anyone else feel this way?

2. zhaofa90 macrumors newbie

One of the main reasons that these displays are priced at $1000 rather then $750 has a lot to do with the Dell competition. Dell's Ultrasharps are really the only competition right now for the ACD and Thunderbolt Dislpay. Apple displays have a target market of those seeking a top of the line display. By reducing some key features and lowering the price tag, the target market would be completely different. I think the price is fine for what it is. You pay a premium price for a premium product.

3. Dnix macrumors 6502

I think at least the "normal" ACD should have a price drop, now that the TD Display is out. But I don't see that even happening anytime soon (or at all). This is Apple we're talking about.