Cinema Display or different monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by dtechlogic, Sep 25, 2012.

1. dtechlogic macrumors regular

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be in the market looking for a monitor. I am looking at the cinema display. Will it be worthed. I have a Mid 2010 mac pro. I have two video card 5770 and 5870. I am going to sell the 5870. It is not the mac version but PC version. Still it works but since i don't really play games that much anymore i don't need it. Anyways i am going to purchase an Nvidia card later on. Anyways i have not started looking at monitors yet. I think i will want to get an IPS monitor instead of TN. Well Advice is welcome. Also how much will i still get for the 5870

2. LaunchpadBS macrumors 6502a

You've gotta ask yourself what you want connectivity wise, the new crop of monitors come with quite a wide array.
    But then the thunderbolt display...well you only need to connect one cable to it to get usb, ethernet, iSight etc etc.

Price wise you'll get a good 27" IPS monitor for half the price of a thunderbolt one.

3. dtechlogic thread starter macrumors regular

I would like to get a 27" IPS monitor. I don't think i want to get the Thunderbolt. It is pricey and also my video card only has mini display port. Also Which brand will be good to get. Especially for video editing.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

NEC, Eizo. If you spring for a profile system a Dell isn't too bad (super cheap).
    Look for MVA, PVA, and IPS based LCD panels. Try to avoid LED backlighting if color is important.
    Avoid TN panels. Also avoid e-IPS if you have the choice. H-IPS, S-IPS, much better as they are true 8-bit.

5. Macsonic macrumors 65816

Macsonic

This is true with regards to Backlighted LED. I had a Viewsonic LED backlighted and the colors and details looked washed out. The drop shadows looked "stiff". Decided to sell that monitor.

6. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

He's going to struggle to connect an ATD to a mac pro.

It all depends on the budget. The Dell 2711 is pretty good with a relatively inexpensive price tag.

7. Mad Mac macrumors regular

Over $1K look at HP Dreamcolor, NEC, and EIZO.

Under $1K it's Apple or Dell.

Dell monitors are a good value but their anti-glare coating is very aggressive. If you do a lot of text reading on light backgrounds it can get annoying. Sparkling, dusty, and looking-through-a-screen-door-effect are common descriptions of the anti-glare coating.

Apple's glossy display is much better for reading text - especially when the text will be small with the high resolution of the panel. But Apple's displays lack inputs, height adjustments and color accuracy with its LED backlight.

If you have the guts, you can take the anti-glare film off the Dell monitors. There's instructions on how to do it on the web. Then you end up with the same panel as the ACD but with better color (CCFL backlight on the Dell), more inputs and height adjustability. If Dell got a clue and sold it like this in the first place it would be the best monitor under $1K hands down.

8. ClassObject macrumors 6502

ClassObject