Cinema Display or HDTV

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by dcoux09, Apr 26, 2010.

1. dcoux09 macrumors member

I'm in the market for a monitor. I have a 13 inch MBP and want more screen real estate. I want to be able to have safari and word open at the same time, each taking up half the screen, something that can't be done (useably) on a 13 inch screen.

My question is this: will a cinema display and/or a HDTV allow me to do this, or will the "monitor" NOT expand my screen real estate and just project the same image on my MBP screen, to the bigger screen? That's a little confusing, but I can't word it any clearer than that.

It seems to be better value to get an outside monitor or even a TV as a monitor, but I want to expand my screen real estate, not just have a bigger 1:1 ratio between my MBP and monitor. Any thorough advice would be appreciated. What is your experience?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can either mirror your MBPs display to it or use it as extra screen estate to have two screens.

TVs aren't that good as computer screens due their low resolution, so get a monitor. It doesn't have to be Apple's though

3. itou macrumors regular

cinema display will give you sound, higher resolution, and a charging cable at greater cost.