Cinema Display Prices Aren't In Line With The Market Prices

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by natas802, May 7, 2008.

1. natas802 macrumors newbie

What's the deal with Apple's Cinema Displays? Apple hasn't budged on the price in what seems like forever! Last time they dropped the prices they were a little more in line with the current market prices for LCD's at the time, but now, $599 for a tiny 20 in monitor is pretty darn expensive!! A quick walk through Staples, Best Buy or any similar store and you'll see 24 in monitors below $499 and 26 in monitors around the $599 price. So at $899, a 23 in Apple display is about 2x the price of a competitors 23 in LCD.

I understand, and appreciate, that Apple makes very high quality monitors, but come on, Apple! The price is still way out of line with the current market prices.

The reason I'm complaining is because I want one pretty badly but the prices are just so out of wack! So when the heck is Apple going to adjust their ACD prices and be competitive again? :p

:apple:

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

You JUST figured this out?

Their SPECS aren't in line with market specs. An update has been needed for two years.

3. supercooled macrumors 6502a

I was expecting to see a creation date of years not hours. These threads are so redundant.

4. CJRhoades macrumors 6502

I had similar trouble trying to find out which type of monitor to get for my Mac Pro. I eventually went with a 23" ACD but now I see that I could have gotten a much bigger one for the same price or less. Apple seems to have the same problem with their RAM.

5. digitalnicotine macrumors 65816

digitalnicotine

And yet, Apple sells them. Regularly, even. Short conclusion: Psychology + Marketing = Apple (laughing all the way to the bank). ;)

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You do realize that those 500$ 24" monitors you see at best buy are of completely different class with different target market?

Really, you can't get an ACD-class monitor for the price under ACD's.

And I'm tired of such threads. Go and search the forum - this topic was discussed a countless times :rolleyes:

7. Jake Bess macrumors newbie

8. CWallace macrumors 601

CWallace

Quality costs and Apple chooses quality.

If you want a display with poorer color fidelity and poorer viewing angles, there are many cheaper options out there.

If you mostly do word processing, internet surfing, and playing games then you don't need the quality of an ACD and you can save a great deal of money choosing a panel based on cheaper PVA or TN technology which sacrifices some picture quality and color fidelity for lower prices, but will still look very good for that kind of use. I run HP 24" LP2465's at work and they're great for general use, but the 23" ACD's over in Communications are noticeably superior in part because of better panels and components in the ACDs.

Photo and video work are two large markets for Apple, and those people tend to require/demand accurate color and image quality, so Apple uses expensive S-IPS panels and higher quality support components to meet those expectations and that raises the price.

And if you look at competing displays that also use S-IPS panels from companies like Dell and NEC, you will find they are just as expensive - if not more so - then what Apple is charging for a Cinema Display.

9. remmy macrumors 6502a

I have been looking for a display and the apple ones are still competitively priced. Amazon lists one 20" for £355 with shipping.

The other alternative I've found is a hazro 23" for £405.

Its all about the panel used see here.