Cinema display screen burn/ghosting - fix?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Ben Kei, Feb 5, 2009.

1. Ben Kei macrumors regular

At the weekend I had to leave my Mac on for our Tech support team to fix something remotely.
    It seems they set the monitor to not go to sleep and I came back on Tuesday (we were snowed out on Monday) to a monitor that had been on for 3 days solidly.

I have a picture on my desktop that I took in Iceland and now I also have a burned in outline of the icebergs across the bottom third of my screen.

It's most noticeable across darker backgrounds and is a total pain because I'm working with graphics and page layout and have a ribbon of discolouration running through everything.

Is there a way to get rid of this? other than leaving a complex screen saver running overnight?

Thanks,
    Ben

2. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You might have what Apple calls Image Persistence:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2807

A giant pain given how much Cinema Display's cost. I had this on a 23" model and returned it.

See if Apple's tips work or not. I didn't have much luck with mine. My Adium contact window would always be "stuck" on the screen.

My replaced Cinema Display doesn't do it, so I know it doesn't effect all of them.

-Kevin

3. Ben Kei thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Kevin,

I actually found the apple document after some further searching.
    I'll give it a shot when I can, although working in an office where we all have to shut our machines off at night doesn't help!

It's actually a bit less visible now than it was a couple of days ago but still noticeable against all backgrounds darker than the area of persistence.

Thanks again,
    Ben

4. ianjoh macrumors newbie

Try LCD Scrub - search for it on Versiontracker.

Haven't needed it myself, but it's worth a try;
    can't see how it'll hurt and it's shareware.

Good luck

5. Ben Kei thread starter macrumors regular

That's great thanks! works a treat.