Cinema Display vs. Dell's 2408

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by maflynn, Mar 13, 2010.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Looks like I may be getting ready to replace my aging 2405 display. Since I'll be getting a mac mini for my kids (and presumably apple care) it makes a lot of sense to get an ACD and have it covered by applecare.

My question is how does the ACD stack up with Dell's latest 2408. Both appear to be IPS, but I believe the ACD is LED, I'm not sure if the Dell is.

I don't mind the glossy display, though if I had my druthers, I'd go with matte. I saw Dell's 2710 display but I think that may be just out of my price range. That being said, I hate to spend so much money on the ACD and only get the same size I have now.

I believe the backlighting on my current display is starting to fail which is why I'm looking into the ACD now, but the dell monitor has lasted 5 years so I'm not discounting that model

Thoughts, opinions, suggestions?

2. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I just picked up the 24" ACD - and I've very pleased with it.

I opted to include it in the purchase of the mac mini as it would be included in the applecare I got.

My kids got a computer and I got a new monitor :D

3. chriskamen macrumors newbie

going for the Apple display

I've been shopping around for different options - and I think I'm going to go for the the ACD.

There's a new 27 inch Dell monitor that has been released, the UltraSharp U2711, but I think for around the same money I'd still rather an Apple esp after reading that link from silenahilena thanks!

4. brentsg macrumors 68040

My 24" ACD is easily the best display I've ever owned despite the fact that I prefer CRTs. I even owned one of the 30" Dell displays for a bit.