Cinema Display vs iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Doc750, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Doc750 macrumors 6502a

I'm not quite sure I understand something. If I order a 27" iMac, I know I can use it as an external display and run a dual screen set up off my 17" macbook pro.

But I remember reading something about it not being convienent to do so?!?

Am I wrong here? Or missing something? It just seems like for a few hundred more I can have the best of both worlds.

2. foodle macrumors 6502

In target display mode, the iMac is fully on and running, not just the screen. So this isn't the most green way of adding a 27" display to your MBP.

3. Doc750 thread starter macrumors 6502a

so other then using more power, no other draw back?

thanks

4. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

You know, i thought about this too.

A compliment for my 13 mbp would be nice, and heck, for a few bucks more why not just get the iMac..?
    The 'convenience' issue doesnt bother me. Green wise, maybe a little..but not enough power wasted to drive me crazy.

I did come to the conclusion that i honestly dont NEED another computer.
    (I will be selling the iMac i have now for the display or new iMac)
    So you just have to ask yourself if you really NEED a second computer.
    You will have two sets of files, two computers to go back and forth on, and youre probably going to favor one. Most likely the macbook, and have the second screen on instead of the iMac by itself.

So i think ill just save the couple hundred and just get a display. I really wouldnt use the iMac, because i dont even use the one i have now.

Take that money you save and get a solid state drive possibly?