Cinema Display vs LED Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by lookingthrough, Dec 17, 2010.

1. lookingthrough macrumors newbie

Hey there!

Right now i'm using Apple Cinema Display 20" that i bought at the end of 2005. You know, the aluminum one. But i've taken interest in one of those LED Displays, especially the 24"...

Now, i've read that the LED Display uses glossy display compared to the Cinema Display? Also, it's completely my own opinion, but the older Cinema Display seems to be looking more nice also having one-coloured.

The technical specifications are in favour of LED Display of course, but taking into account the glossy display, less attractive design and so on... Which one would you get?

2. Revival Cr8tive macrumors member

Hi!

I went through a similar situation a few months ago... In the end I decided that accurate colour displaying on my monitor was the most important factor. The only way to get that is to go for an Apple Cinema 23" HD Display (Aluminum/Matt Finish).

I got mine off eBay at a great price, it also included 3 years Apple Care as the seller had just had it refurbished.

Recently my boss bought me an 27" iMac i7 (with a glossy display) - The difference is definately viewable. But only to those with the eye! However I'm glad I got a Matt finish screen, its definately been worth it.

Hope that's helpful!

3. lookingthrough thread starter macrumors newbie

Does the LED Display use H-IPS panel instead of S-IPS (Cinema Display)?

I'm thinking of buying the Cinema Display once again, just a bigger one, and perhaps going with the HP LP2480ZX (P-IPS) as it has a 30-bit color panel.

4. dimme macrumors 65816

I have read that LED backlits panels have a smaller color gamut that the IPS screens from HP, Dell & Ezio. I use a Ezio CG series at work and it is by far the best Monitor you can buy. I have a Dell U2410 at home and it's a great monitor for the price.

5. toxic macrumors 68000

the LED displays use H-IPS.

if you're considering a DreamColor, you shouldn't be considering any Apple displays...you should be looking at NEC PA-series or Eizo monitors instead.

color gamut is largely unimportant. not many fields can make use of a larger-than-sRGB color gamut.