Cinema Display vs. NEC 2490Wuxi, buying now

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shinji, Jul 14, 2008.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I need a new display, considering either the 23" Cinema Display or the 24" NEC 2490Wuxi.

I had been waiting for a cinema display refresh, but I don't see that happening in the near future despite the long amount of time in between updates. So in the meantime, I've been checking out the 2490Wuxi...really the only reason I'd go with the ACD is to save a few hundred dollars.

Any thoughts? Anyone familiar with both monitors see a difference in color accuracy or overall quality between the two, warranting the extra $ for NEC?

2. John Jordan macrumors newbie

Hi-

I have the NEC 2690 and like it. Solid build quality and 4 year warranty. If you color calibrate, use NEC's software.

John

3. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Everything I've heard suggests that ACDs are more spot-on for print work. But the NECs are newer tech, have wider gamuts, and based on the technology - lamp compensation, etc. - seem likely to last you longer, and they're apparently built to higher standards than the ACDs. If you can afford it, I'd suggest the NEC, which seems to be better suited for photo or video work. But if print is all-important, by all means go for the ACD.

4. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

nah no print work. It's just that it's cheaper and I wouldn't have to pay for shipping because I'd just buy it in-store, although when you factor in Applecare that sort of negates it.

Still not sure what to do.

5. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

In my opinion, if you can afford it, spring for the NEC. Wider gamut (nice % of aRGB...), their lamp tech will lengthen the lifespan of the monitor, backed by a four year warranty - built-in applecare, multiple inputs (say, if you wanted to hook a blu-ray player or PS3 up through HDMI ->DVI). Also, I've heard, on this forum and other places, that there are minor QC issues with the ACDs, and issues with color tint and whatnot - haven't heard of anything similar with the NECs. Also, the NEC as a polarizer that mitigates extreme viewing angle color shift and is highly rated everywhere you look.

6. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

One other thing holding me back is neither has HDMI inputs. Not that I need that now, but it would be nice to have for the future.

And also considering the 2690 if you've heard anything good or bad.

7. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

HDMI inputs shouldn't be a deal-breaker. As of writing this, my PS3 connects to my Doublesight DS-263N (26" H-IPS, same panel as the NEC you're thinking of buying) with the HDMI->DVI cable they shipped with the monitor with no complaints whatsoever. Works like a charm, and this monitor supports 1:1 pixel mapping, so no stretch, either. Actually, speaking thereof, if you're looking to save a buck, you may want to consider the Doublesight DS-263N. I have heard only good things about the NEC 2690 and probably would have bought one if I could afford it, but at $800 new the Doublesight was worth every penny. Probably not quite as color accurate, but it uses the exact same panel as the NEC and is one hell of a monitor for the price. And if you're looking to save even more cash, you can get it at $600 refurbed directly from doublesight, which I would have done had they been selling it when I bought this:

http://www.doublesight.com/shop/product.asp?idx=24

at $600, it pretty much annihilates every other monitor deal I've seen. And if you really, really want HDMI, it's been confirmed that the newer version of this monitor, the 265W, to be released within a month or two, will feature a new bezel, better stand and an HDMI port, with the same panel. Features of the one I use now include 4 USB ports, fast response time (for an H-IPS panel, practically the best), and two DVI ports, so both my Mac Pro and the PS3 are plugged into it at once.