cinema display vs Thunderbolt display

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doctheseus, Dec 26, 2012.

1. doctheseus macrumors newbie

Hi i have been looking to buy an iMac for longtime, but holding on due to their cost. just saw that cinema display is on sale at frys for 699 and thunderbolt display for 799..

i have two MacBooks,

2011 early 13 inch macbook pro with thunderbolt
    17 inch model which i will be getting from my workplace in around 6 months when i switch.

so i think i already have enough computers, but i need a large display so i can work on,
    given my setup which one would be better, cinema display or thunderbolt display...
    are there any other nice displays out there compatible with macbook pro..
    please help...

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Good luck with Frys. I tried to purchase ATDs from them many weeks ago. None in stock and they would not order them at the low price.

Best prices I found for new ATD is B&H with no tax and free shipping. They also had the best price for Apple Care. Best refurbed price was $829 from Apple. Those units come with warranty and are eligible for Apple Care. But with Apple you may have to play sales tax depending on the destination.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

If the 17" model also supports Thunderbolt (it's an Early or Late 2011 model), you might as well get the Apple Thunderbolt Display since it can act as a docking station (by connecting your USB, FireWire and Ethernet to it).

4. mawyatt macrumors member

I got the 27" Thunderbolt Display from Best Buy for ~$850. It was a returned unit. Works great as mentioned as a docking station for my MBPr with TB cable with power pigtail for MBPr. I have two LaCie 2Big 4TB RAID Thunderbolt drives, Apple USB keyboard and USB hard drives connected to display. Only single cable to MBPr, the Thunderbolt with power pigtail. Makes it easy to connect and unconnected the MBPr laptop.

5. evanavevan macrumors member

evanavevan

6. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Congrats on the ATD. B&H has the lowest Apple Care on displays I know about.