Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

RapsacDK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
What up!

I've fallen in love with the 27" display and I'm planning to buy one for my MacBook Pro - can't wait. However. Which one? My MacBook Pro is from '09, so it is without Thunderbolt technology.. would it be stupid to buy the regular Cinema Display or is there close to no difference?

I mean. It would be stupid to buy the Cinema Display if the display in the Thunderbolt edition is way better.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Caspar

monokitty

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
What up!

I've fallen in love with the 27" display and I'm planning to buy one for my MacBook Pro - can't wait. However. Which one? My MacBook Pro is from '09, so it is without Thunderbolt technology.. would it be stupid to buy the regular Cinema Display or is there close to no difference?

I mean. It would be stupid to buy the Cinema Display if the display in the Thunderbolt edition is way better.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
Caspar

You cannot plug the Thunderbolt Display into a non-TB Mac. You will get no video.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Since the Thunderbolt Display (TBD) only works with 2011+ Macs having a Thunderbolt port, you can only use the LED Apple Cinema Display (LACD) anyway. And as the TBD is almost the same as the LACD, despite the extra ports on the TBD, you can't even use without TB, you don't lose anything.

RapsacDK

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
I know, I know - I'm not a complete fool ;-) But what you're saying is that the only difference is the cable? If I decide to upgrade my MB next year, would it be compatible (through a converter) with the regular Cinema Display?

Nov 28, 2010
located
I know, I know - I'm not a complete fool ;-) But what you're saying is that the only difference is the cable? If I decide to upgrade my MB next year, would it be compatible (through a converter) with the regular Cinema Display?

If you buy an LED Apple Cinema Display (LACD), it will work with any Mac with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port.

Mini DisplayPort (MDP) / Thunderbolt
Mini DisplayPort is the current digital standard on all current Macs to transfer video to an external display or TV. It has been introduced in 10/2008 with the release of the Unibody MacBook and MacBook Pros and has gradually been adopted on all other Macs.
MDP is capable of transmitting video, and since 2010, audio too. MDP is a miniaturised version of DisplayPort. It is also license free and can support resolutions of up to 2560 x 1600, which Mini DVI and Micro DVI are not able to do.
Since 2011, all Macs come with a Thunderbolt port, which is meant for fast data transfer and also as means to connect to an external display device to mirror or extend the Mac's screen.
To learn more about Thunderbolt (TB) and its compatibility with Mini DisplayPort (MDP): Introducing Thunderbolt

Battlefield Fan

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2008

Just wait to get the monitor then. Apple won't stop selling them. Plus if you buy your new mbp and display in the same order with applecare then BOTH your mbp and display are covered which is a savings of like $100.

Thunderbolt might take off and its nice having the dockability that the TB monitor provides. I have both and like the ability to just plug in 2 cables to my mbp. Makes for a quick grab in go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.