Cinema Display vs Thunderbolt

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by RapsacDK, Apr 21, 2012.

1. RapsacDK macrumors member

RapsacDK

What up!

I've fallen in love with the 27" display and I'm planning to buy one for my MacBook Pro - can't wait. However. Which one? My MacBook Pro is from '09, so it is without Thunderbolt technology.. would it be stupid to buy the regular Cinema Display or is there close to no difference?

I mean. It would be stupid to buy the Cinema Display if the display in the Thunderbolt edition is way better.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance!
    Caspar

2. monokitty macrumors regular

You cannot plug the Thunderbolt Display into a non-TB Mac. You will get no video.

3. simsaladimbamba

Since the Thunderbolt Display (TBD) only works with 2011+ Macs having a Thunderbolt port, you can only use the LED Apple Cinema Display (LACD) anyway. And as the TBD is almost the same as the LACD, despite the extra ports on the TBD, you can't even use without TB, you don't lose anything.

4. RapsacDK thread starter macrumors member

RapsacDK

I know, I know - I'm not a complete fool ;-) But what you're saying is that the only difference is the cable? If I decide to upgrade my MB next year, would it be compatible (through a converter) with the regular Cinema Display?

5. simsaladimbamba

If you buy an LED Apple Cinema Display (LACD), it will work with any Mac with a Mini DisplayPort or Thunderbolt port.

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

Just wait to get the monitor then. Apple won't stop selling them. Plus if you buy your new mbp and display in the same order with applecare then BOTH your mbp and display are covered which is a savings of like $100.

Thunderbolt might take off and its nice having the dockability that the TB monitor provides. I have both and like the ability to just plug in 2 cables to my mbp. Makes for a quick grab in go.