Cinema Display w/MPB vs. iMac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by markintosh, Aug 20, 2009.

1. markintosh macrumors member

markintosh

I've been thinking about upgrading my late 2007 (2ghz alum) 20" iMac for a couple months now. My original thought was to get the base model 24" iMac as a replacement.

However, the idea hit me today (after seeing the 24" Cinema display on Apple's refurb site), why not pick that and a Mstand, and just use my 13" 2.53 MBP? I'd probably keep an external keyboard and trackball as well.

Here's my situation, I currently share the iMac with my wife and kids (at most they do MS Office, Web, Email, Finances), but we now both have MacBook Pros. We mainly have the iMac for the larger screen. I do a lot of Web design and Photowork (Adobe CS4 stuff). I'm in college studying Educational Technology.

Any thoughts?

2. jasonwilldermoo macrumors newbie

I would get the ACD. The refurb at $599 is tempting. That way the kids could keep the old iMac for word processing and such and you and the wife could use the ACD as needed. Do you really need four separate computers?

3. markintosh thread starter macrumors member

markintosh

Oops...

I guess I wasn't clear.
    The plan is to sell the 20" iMac either way.

My wife just got her MacBook Pro, so the kids would "help" her use it. (they are 7 and 4 so not a lot of word processing, mainly just internet games like disney.com and pbskids.com).

4. MacFanUK macrumors 6502a

MacFanUK

I'd definately go for the 24" Cinema Display - It's a lot less cash than the 24" iMac and saves having to remember which computer your work is on :)