Cinema Display: What will be new?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mac'nCheese, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I'm thinking of switching my up coming iMac purchase to a new mac pro. Obviously, I would need to buy a monitor but this site says updates are due soon. Just curious... what do you guys think a new display would offer that a current one doesn't. The biggest one they have now is more then enough and I like the picture quality. What else besides size and resolution could they upgrade?

2. Big Boss Man macrumors regular

They need to update the 30" ACD to an LED backlight. That update has been "due soon" for over a year now.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Power consumption would decrease dramatically if they switched it to an LED.

4. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

I'm guessing we will see a 27" and 21.5" ACDs added to the line-up.

A 30" ACD with LED backlighting would be $$$$!:eek:

5. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I don't think a 30" ACD would need to be "that" expensive. The LED backlighting is becoming more mainstream and so hopefully we will be seeing a nice 30" LED monitor from Apple.

6. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

I always give a +1 for every time someone suggests this.

So.. +1

7. Casper CC macrumors newbie

When was the 24" introduced, any indication that it will update anytime soon?

8. kasakka macrumors 68000

LED backlighting isn't exactly some magic bullet and has its own set of problems so replacing the CCFL backlight in a display meant primarily for graphics professionals isn't necessarily the way to go.

What the 30" ACD really needs is mini-Displayport input and a bezel redesign to match the rest of the line-up.

I suspect that they'll just add a LED backlight 27" display into the line-up and it will be expensive (dare I say overpriced?) like the rest of the ACDs.

9. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

kasakka - ditto your comments. There are a number of issues with led backlighting, especially on large panels. The small savings on electricity and highly touted lifespan on led technology is more of a marketing gimmick than anything else. The half life of high end CCFL tubes way exceeds the practical use life for most of us, the led introduces temperature induced color variations in addition to those inherent with leds themselves, and the light diffusion is quite a challenge given the limited number of led "emitters" you can pack in behind the panel.

My side by side comparison had me go with a CCFL 30" NEC model 3090 recently.

10. kasakka macrumors 68000

Out of curiosity, how's the NEC with Apple's hardware? Do you use it via Displayport? Is switching resolutions and inputs quick on it (I hate how slowly my Dell 3008WFP switches them - awkward to go between MBP and PC)

11. Mac'nCheese thread starter macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

What about the weight of these new kinds of displays? Do you think they would be about the same as the current ones or lighter or heavier?

12. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

kasakka - LOL - haven't changed resolutions yet - too blown away with the full 2560 x 1600 :D

I'll do so and report back - so far no "Apple" issues.

DVI-D connector

13. kolax macrumors G3

I just wish they'd release a 24" with a matte display and aluminium enclosure.

14. charlieroberts macrumors 6502a

charlieroberts

A lot of companies cater to professionals and still update their displays more than once every ten years... I find find the buyer's guide pretty funny, 5 times the usual refresh time for displays... come on !

I expect isight and updated bezel. Power reduction wold be nice, specially on the 30 inch ACD, they are too powerhungry. So I guess LED would be a step in the right direction