Cinema Display with new MBPro question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nREMfan, Aug 15, 2011.

1. nREMfan macrumors member

I'm looking to upgrade my MacBook Pro (17" 2.6 Core2 Duo, DVI) but I use a 30" Cinema Display. Is my only choice for connection the Mini DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI Adapter ($99) from Apple? If I were to bypass the hub on the monitor, is there any other way to go straight to DVI?

I'm just concerned re: the reviews about this connector. And frankly, paying an additional $99 to use an industry standard connection. Thanks.

2. The-Pro macrumors 65816

Yep you have to buy the apple one or the one the poster above me put the link to. I have three of those bloody connectors. Its apple way to make money, quite smart, was you have to buy it, but its a real pain in the ***. And they are so long two, the cable is 1 m long, smart in some situations but completely stupid and annoying aswell.

3. nREMfan thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. I love Monoprice and their stuff, so I'll go that route. Has anyone had any issues with this? I've read about all kinds of problems with the Apple connector (flickering, black screen, etc). Although it stinks to pay for something like this, better this than a freegin' glossy screen.

Thanks again.