Cinema Display - worth it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by flowagner, Oct 25, 2008.

1. flowagner macrumors member

flowagner

Hi folks!

I have a Samsung 245B 24' wide screen monitor right now which is just plain ugly to look at. a) the monitor itself is just a big black bulky box and b) the colors are a mess.

i thought about getting a new screen asap and thought about getting an ACD. problem is just that they are darn expensive and after all, how could i justify buying a 23' monitor for 750 euros when i could buy a 24' eizo for 400.

primarily, i watch tv shows, surf, check email ... but i also do some serious photoshop work and photo editing from time to time. would you say that an ACD would be worth it? and why?

i also thought about getting the LED 24' CD but I have a mid-07 MBP with the DVI port ... i just hate converters <.< plus I don't think I would need the internal speakers of the monitor as I love my JBL creatures. the glossy display does not bother me at all ...

any advice what to do? is the ACD worth switching my monitor? if, should i go for an old one or for the led-powered one?

thanks & cheers,
    flo

2. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

Older ones have a matte screen, new ones have a glossy screen and need a converter if you're not using an MacBook.

That Eizo is probably S-PVA which is an inferior technology.

I have one (soon to have two) and I absolutely love the ACD :)

3. Hatchet macrumors regular

I just purchased a MBP and have matched it with an ACD 23". The ACD is stunning with picture quality and colors if calibrated. Even if it's not the absolute newest LCD on the market, it is such a great option for someone who wants a very high quality display.

I have had a Dell 24" and the ACD outperforms it by a ton.

4. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

If you can afford it I would highly recommend it :)

Here's why:

1. The heart of every any monitor is the panel it uses. The panel used by the ACD is a S-IPS panel which is one of the best if not the best panels in the industry. You mention doing photoshop work, ok you want the ACD then.

2. superb viewing angles, color reproduction, and very bright screen. Matte screen, no reflections, doesn't hurt your eyes.

3. It's pricey, but will utterly please, and satisfy you for the next few years and you won't think about another monitor.

4. It matches your MBP perfectly. Looks gorgeous but more importantly, the silver anodized bezel around the LCD doesn't distract from the work on the screen like a black bezel does.

I'm very happy with my ACD to be perfectly honest, and I think it's worth every penny every time I sit in front of it. So I would highly recommend it. Alot of people will say don't buy because it's outdated etc. But like i said, the heart of a LCD is its panel, and the ACD has a top notch panel.

Also, nobody knows when Apple is bringing out new ACDs, and if they did would they be like that glassy, black display they just released?

eek no thanks. Get the ACD. You won't be disappointed. ;)

5. flowagner thread starter macrumors member

flowagner

Thanks for all the kind replies!!!

Actually, Photoshop is not a that high priority for me. I do some work here and there but I do not really care whether it's glossy or not. It just needs some time to adjust to it imho and I work with both, glossy and matte displays. Hardcore photoshoppers might jump on me for saying this but I am perfectly fine with working on a glossy display: I know what I am doing and I have enough experience to know that with the little works I have to do in PS, it doesn't really matter whether I work on a glossy or matte display. I do not need 100% trueness of color.

Actually, I like the new 24' monitor. With the student rebate, I would even pay less for the new 24' one than for the old 23'. But well, seems like I need to settle between one of em :)