Cinema Displays and gaming consoles

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by nc7r, Nov 21, 2007.

1. nc7r macrumors member

nc7r

I was wondering if anyone could give any info about gaming consoles (PS3, PS2, XBOX 360 etc) And how I'd go about linking it up to my monitor.

Basic question if you know the answer I think :)

2. Tucom macrumors 65816

Tucom

The only ones out of the bunch you mentioned that would be able to hook up to a Cinema Display would be the Xbox 360 Elite and the Playstation 3. This is due to the fact that they support HDMI, which is a digital signal that's easily, and without costing over 40 bucks, can be converted into a DVI signal, which is what the Cinema Display uses.

You can convert analogue signals such as VGA, S-Video etc. into DVI, but an adapter of even acceptable quality of sorts will cost you around 500 dollars.

It would be nice if Apple put other adapters in their upcoming Display line.

Peace

3. Arjy macrumors member

Yeah, I hook up my xbox to my 23'' cinema display through DVI converted from the HDMI port on the back, mines not an elite though so maybe they all have them now I guess? Mines pretty new. I went the the apple store they gave me a cable that did the trick.

4. mahonmeister macrumors 6502

Yup, all the new Xbox 360's have HDMI.

You may run into a bit of trouble with the console supporting the resolution of your monitor, making the picture's aspect ratio look funny. Using VGA is a pain but hopefully digital is much better.