Cinema Displays, still the best?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by macsig, Apr 23, 2008.

1. macsig macrumors regular

Hi, I have decided to buy an external monitor to use with my MB. So, I have a couple of questions.

1- The most difficult one, do you think Apple is going to update the Cinema Displays soon (within this summer) ???
    2- Do you think the Cinema Displays are still so better than competitors display to justify its prices? I mean they are 5 years old, 5 years ago they were definitely years ahead the competitors, but how about now? Are they still the best of I can look for something else?

Thanks and have a good 1!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

1. Nobody here knows, sadly. Your guess is as good as anyone else's, but I agree they're due for replacement.

2. It depends on your priorities. If colour fidelity is critical then the ACDs are still darned good. For general-purpose use, however, there are better, faster-responding panels out there.

Personally, I'd probably still go for the ACD. I do a lot of design work for print, don't game and generally appreciate the build quality of Apple products. Having said that, however, for most people, the competition from Dell, HP et all looks very tempting - you get multiple inputs, a darned good image and don't lose much in terms of build quality (Dell and HP displays feel a little plasticy to me, but they're hard to criticise in other respects).

Ultimately, it's down to your own personal preferences. Me, I'm still seriously considering the purchase of a 30" ACD =]

3. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for you reply

I'm a software engineer so I will use it primary for web applications designing, developing and testing. Not for gaming

I'm thinking to buy the 23"

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Depends on what you value. If, like most Apple users it seems, you value form over function and you are still into the alloy thing, then it makes sense. In other terms - well, it's hard to justify.

I don't think they're the best by any yardstick bar the appearance. SWOP certification means very little, especially when you consider the sheer variations between ACD's - it's just one of those Apple smoke and mirrors things. In certain quad-monitor settings with colour accuracy required, I've had to hobble one or more of the monitors so that I can calibrate all of them uniformly. That's something I've never experienced with the Dells. I've bought quite a few, and the variety of image across the last major batch of 23" displays that I unpacked far outstripped a bunch of Dell 2407WFP-HC's that I also unpacked at a similar time.

Simply put, they are way overhyped by the Apple fanboys who in reality have zero real life experience with displays. Yes, they look nicer. But the display quality? Good - nothing major to complain about, but not far and away the best.

If the combined looks are unimportant, or less important than the effectiveness of the results, I'd say just get a Dell. I have ACD's where I want things to look nicer (and I don't mean onscreen), although the new larger Dells are actually not bad either. Although unfortunately still with the 'old' design, I think it's pretty hard to go wrong with the 2408WFP, although a few of the new batch I ordered turned up faulty - which were nevertheless quickly replaced on-site. That was slightly of concern. It is also newer technology in terms of connectivity than the ACD as well - the 2408WFP has 2 x DVI, VGA and Displayport as well as different video inputs.

5. Delta608 macrumors regular

Delta608

My Dell 2408WFP arrived today...It is SCHWEET..Wish I had ordered it awhile ago....Still may be able to get it 100 dollars off with free two day shipping..Hey if you use a Dell credit card you gets 3% additional off..It was too good for me to pass up....

6. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I had a Dell 2408 for about 35 days, the monitor is nice but the colors are so oversaturated for use with Photoshop and many websites I had to send it back. Having reds and oranges look like they should be on cartoon charcters just wasn't my thing.
    We are still living in an sRGB world and just not ready for wide gamut in most cases. I ended up with a NEC 2490WUXi (has H-IPS) with the Spectraview software and can't say enough about this set up.

7. Cesoca macrumors member

Cesoca

NEC from 90WUXI serie are the best on the market nowadays. You made the right choice. :)

8. evannieuwburg macrumors newbie

This message was also posted in another topic, but is also very appropriate here. Especially since you're thinking of spending lots of money on a screen.

i received my 30 inch cinema display 3 days ago and it hurts my head...... i think it is the anti reflective coating covering the display, but it gives a certain unsharpness to the picture. I visited a Machouse yesterday to try and compare the things and i must say that the one in the machouse looked much better.
    The coating gives a very grainy view to the screen which you particularly notice when using light colors. The screen on my brand new Macbook pro doesnt have this issue at all, but this particular 30" ACD sucks. Way too much coating on the screen imho...

Does anybody know of Apple using different screens for their 30" cinema displays? I am thinking of be sending it back monday morning for a refund. Even considering buying the 24" Dell instead..... i've used it at a client and looked really good.

9. hexonxonx macrumors 601

As I replied in the other thread about the ACD screen coating, I have a 23" ACD. EXtremely happy with it. I did notice the appearance of this coating but on my 23" it is very very slight. Side by side with my iMac, the coating is noticeable but then again, the ACD is much brighter than my iMac and white displays differently on the ACD then it does on my iMac. I'm keeping my ACD. Perhaps on the 30" they are using too much of this coating?

I didn't care if I could hook anything else up to my monitor, I am just using my ACD for my computers listed in my signature. I don't own anything else that could be connected to my computer monitor. The 23" ACD was my perfect choice because it works with all my Macs.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Did you explore the settings at all, and do you have a hardware calibrator?

11. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I have an X-Rite Hardware calibration system that I calibrated the monitor with several times and I explored all the settings (using custom colors, sRGB, video settings, ect). The monitor had some things that looked great and the quality is good but overall it wasn't for me. Take this website for example, when you roll the mouse over threads they are neon poster orange on the Dell. Many reds are cartoon pink which is really hard on me because I run a Ducati forum that has a lot of red and the colors on the site were killing my eyes. Even the menus on the monitor itself are a pinkish red. Dell customer service was great and actually sent 2 new 2408 monitors in 5 weeks to see if others word work better. Dell's engineers called me out of the blue at work and spent some time talking with me about the 2408, wide gamut monitors, types of displays and color space. I thought it was great they would do this without me asking for a call and that is when I came to fully understand that while a wide gamut monitor is really cool, we are still dealing with an sRGB world for at least another few years. They told me wide gamut isn't for everyone but a lot of people won't notice the difference and they are generally dealing with a mainstream customer that is not color critical. The 3rd monitor Dell sent had a row of stuck red pixels so I ask for my money back and got the NEC.
    Just to throw this out there too, I have a good working knowledge of how to calibrate a monitor, I am a professional photographer and have calibrated many over the years. I have always had Windows systems and I have had (and have) NEC, Eizo and LaCie monitors. I decided to set up a nice home system for me and the girlfriend so I got the new Mac Pro and I thought the new Dell was a reasonable cost for size solution to go with the new MP.
    The ability to properly dial in the color, the viewing angles and the Spectraview software make the NEC a real winner for the extra $400.

12. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

Hello guys, I have finally decided to move on and buying the monitor I need.
    I have decided that $900 are too much so I will not buy the Cinema Display.
    Right now I'm looking for a 22" LCD monitor that costs not more than $350 but I have found only glossy displays so far.

Dell SP2208WFP
    Samsung T220
    Samsung 2232GW

but the point is I hate glossy monitors. I'm using a MacBook Pro 15-inch Widescreen Display and I love its display. My girlfriend has a iMac and I can't use it for more than 10 minutes, too many reflections !!!!

Do you have a monitor to suggest to me???

Thanks and have a nice day!

13. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

go for the Dell Ultrasharp which has a TFT panel like your MacBook and is non glossy. the Dell you listed there is a entry model and has a TN panel which is cheaper and has lower quality than the TFT.

not sure about the Samsungs.

14. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Check Apple's refurb store. They did some price cuts on the ACDs. I personally have a ViewSonic 20" that goes up to 1680x1050. It's been cranking along for about 2 years now. ViewSonic, Samsung seem to make good monitors. My monitor is matte (I hate glossy more than you do) an I swear there is ZERO reflection on it. The colors all look pretty good to me. Maybe the brightness could go up a bit more, but that could just be in my head.

The model I have is a VX2025wm, but I doubt it's still made. Use this link below and you can check out everything Buy.com offers, then check stores around where you live.

http://www.buy.com/cat/22-lcd-monitor/63439.html

15. Xavier macrumors 68020

Personally, and having done some research on monitors lately because I am in the market for a new monitor, I wouldn't suggest the Apple Monitor.

Of course it is a good monitor and all, and if you are just looking for it to match your Apple computer, and for casual use, then it is a good choice.

But the aspect ratio and the delay is enough to turn me away from it. Also the price is not very attractive compared to others. I would suggest NEC Monitors or Asus.

16. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks everyone

@richthomas do you mean this?

@Xavier Asus? How about this? it is a bit over budget but if it is a very good monitor I can make it. Looks like it has TFT-LCD Panel (Color Shine Technology - Anti-Reflection Glare Panel), so no glossy. right?

Finally I saw this Acer but I guess it is glossy.

Thanks again for all your advices

Have a good day guys!

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ yep that 22" Dell has a TFT panel so it has good viewing angles and much more accurate colours than the TN panels found in entry level displays. looks like a good buy and would equal the display quality of your MacBook (besides the glossy factor of course).

it all depends on what you want. you could go for an ultra cheap TN panel display like some of the entry level Acers, Dells and Samsungs but it would cost you the quality.

18. jons macrumors 6502

I had my 2 year old 30" ACD replaced about a month ago. I haven't noticed anything different about the coating from the old one. The new one looks great to me.

19. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks buddy
    I definitely want a good monitor (a TFT panel)

Are All the TFT panel not glossy? I mean how can be sure about that. For instance I saw this HP that looks good to me. It is "wide LCD - TFT, active matrix". Does this automatically mean no glossy?
    That do you think better this HP or the Dell?

Have a good 1!

20. waynesun macrumors regular

waynesun

1) I hope they do.. the ACDs are seriously outdated. You can buy better quality for the price. Apple trumps them in design.. but that's about it.

2) Definitely long overdue for a refresh or new panel.. waay too overpriced at this point in time imo. I would hold off until a new batch.

21. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

The significant majority of LCD displays are not glossy. The HP model you linked to is one of the few that are.

The only better panel is the LED-backlit Samsung ones, and the panel alone costs more then the entire ACD. :eek:

I do wish the ACDs had additional DVI inputs, to say nothing of DisplayPort and HDMI and I hope they appear on the next refresh.

22. Benjvogt macrumors newbie

Benjvogt

Get One. Period. I dont have one but I wish I do. The first reason is the fantastic resolution I bought a 19" acer monitor only to have gritty resolution and the VGA input be faulty. (I have to have the cord in a specific position or the color goes haywire). An apple display would be well worth the money considering how long it will last.

Oh yeah, it looks pretty cool too.

23. Benjvogt macrumors newbie

Benjvogt

On the other hand though, they haven't been updated for quite some time.

24. macsig thread starter macrumors regular

Today I went to BestBuy and it doesn't look like you say: the majority are glossy. I saw the HP and I like it but just the idea to work 8 hours per day with all those reflections makes me sick. So I have decided I go with the Dell ULTRASHARP. I'm looking right now Dell website and they don't show the price anymore, instead "Please call for latest prices" messages is showed. What does it mean? Are they gonna update them soon?

THANKS

25. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I have a Dell 2007WFP with a S-IPS panel and that's just perfect. I would looks for something for S-IPS since you're doing photo editing; you will want the perfect color reproductions in all viewing angles.