Cinema Displays with mic?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Cromas, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Cromas macrumors member

Cromas

A lot people expect have cam with the new cinema displays but what about mic? I use my sister iMac yesterday and the mic are amazing. I call with skype sitting on the chair and receive the voice great and of course the cam.

You think that mic appear with cam on the new cinema display (that appear not see the light)

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If the new ACDs have iSights (they either won't or it'll be BTO), a mic will unequivocally be included.

3. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

An infrared sensor would be good, too.

4. teleromeo macrumors 65816

teleromeo

5. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

when you talk of a new display i assume you mean the design, as the panels have been updates from time-to-time. i think the current design fits in with apples current lineup of computers very well, maybe just a bit of slimming but not change it just for the sake of change.

6. BigAlMAC macrumors newbie

Or perhaps that those with the High End macs cant use ichat as intended.
    Our outer office are all imacs & they use ichat a far bit throughout the company & outside. But our department (creative) with al MP's dont have that ability.

Lets get updated screens so we can integrate the use of ichat also.
    $1199 for an imac & you get great ichat cam builtin, $2799 plus a screen & you dont even get a cam.

Would be nice, considering they dont even offer isight camera anymore.

al

7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

8. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

I agree. I would be quite happy if they brought out new displays that looked identical except for iSight, mic and IR sensor built in. I would imagine that 3 years on, they would actually be able to make it thinner, have a narrower border around the edge, but the style is fine as it is. I would also expect them to update the sizes, eg. at least match the 24" screen on the iMac, possibly drop the 20" version, and who knows, something bigger than 30"?

Anyone making an external webcam specifically for the Mac has surely got to realise that it's a very limited market. Most Macs already have integrated iSight cameras, so it's mostly only going to be people with old Macs that will consider it. Also, until recently Apple has had their own iSight camera, so including it in their cinema displays isn't going to be a big deal. The third party companies will just have to get sales from people who don't buy Apple displays.

Apple would be better keeping it's customers happy than keeping third party developers happy...

9. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I'd love a new CD with built in iSight and IR, but I'll be dammed if I'm dropping another $1800 for a 30"!

An old iSight can be had on eBay for cheaper as well as third party IR sensor solutions.

Also, I bet the next gen will be glossy, and I don't know if I'm feeling a 30" glossy display just yet.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

Apple would not drop the matte for a glossy. If they do end up offering a glossy it will most likely be a CTO just like the MBP is.

11. bilbo--baggins macrumors 6502a

Good point - although I'm put off for 2 reasons: third party compatibility issues - I've had too many problems with third party add-ons not working after OS updates; also I bet as soon as I buy something Apple will bring out a better option (maybe that would be a good thing!).

Besides, I'd quite like to go from 20" up to 24", applications these days - even iTunes - seem to need more and more space to work well!

12. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

I don't think there's much chance of that. Image editing pro's use matte.

13. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

ive had my pro for a couple of months now and i do miss the cam and mic from the imac even though I only used them maybe once every 2 weeks.
    I get by as I have a macbook but wish that apple would bring back the isight!