Cinema Displays

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ArmyKnight12, Sep 23, 2007.

1. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

:apple:Why are Mac Cinema Displays so expensive? Compared with Dell or HP, monitors of the same size are 200 bucks less. What makes the Apple ones so good (if anything) to warrant paying that much more?:apple:

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Some will argue that the superior circuitry and SWOP certification make it a vastly superior monitor. You can, however get the same S-IPS LCD panel Apple uses in the Dell 2007WFP*

The Cinema Displays also do not have HDCP.

*Not all Dell displays contain the S-IPS LCD panel.

3. iMouseHD macrumors regular

I think if you use the search you will find some good conversations on this subject matter, all I can say is I am glad I have mine and while not to some, it was worth it or me.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I believe (and I've owned both Dell and Apple) that you are paying for the design. I do not believe in my mind that my Apple 30" ACD is better than the Dell 30" ACD. As a matter of fact, the Dell has more inputs and I think a better response time.

5. maberga29 macrumors member

I agree, based on typical performance specs alone, you can find a much "better" display for much cheaper. ACD, however, has distinct design and superior color management on its side.

6. ctsport1234 macrumors regular

Its the design, simple as that. For me, asthetics is very important, so I don't mind paying a bit extra for years of enjoyment. :D

7. jepjepjep macrumors member

I gotta admit the apple displays look cool, but damn they're expensive!

8. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

It's really about design...some monitors are really fugly. I would put the ACD in my living room, while a cheaper acer monitor I would not want to. the ACD is much more professional and elegant.

9. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

I think the Dell 2007WFP Rev. A04 with S-IPS panel really is a nice compromise. The image quality is fantastic an the price is great. You get many inputs, the USB2.0 hub and a rotating display.

And a very important feature, HDCP.

10. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

11. katorga macrumors regular

That is where it all falls down...

That is where it all falls down. How do you KNOW FOR SURE that you are getting the exact revision and parts that you want with Dell? It is hit or miss. Apple, for the most part, is consistent.

I would buy the ACD for looks, and the Dell if you need 1080p gaming via the hdmi input and an xbox or ps3.

12. giganten macrumors 6502a

I agree with you, the ACD is elegant.