Cinema/Thunderbolt Display + rMBP owners, please help me decide :)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by henry72, Sep 6, 2012.

1. henry72 macrumors 65816

henry72

I just bought a Retina MacBook Pro (Really happy with it). However, I'm thinking the money I spent on this laptop, I could have got the MacBook Air 11" + Thunderbolt Display. But I can't afford a Thunderbolt Display + rMBP lol

I've been always looking for this awesome setup :D However, I don't know whether I can adjust the differences between normal and Retina.

I will have a look in store but I would love to hear from you guys, what's your experience? :)

Cheers :apple:

2. jamswirl macrumors regular

Save up. I have rMBP + thunderbolt display and it works very well.

The resolution of the 27inch screen is very useable and honestly doesn't look out of place next to the retina.

Buy refurbished if you can. But nothing wrong with saving up for a few weeks/months.

3. iAppl3Fan macrumors 6502a

iAppl3Fan

Figure out what the differences in $ between the two setups are and figure out how long it will take for you to make that purchase. If you can wait that long then keep the RMBP; otherwise, switch to MBA if you want the TBD badly.

4. Fynd macrumors 6502

Do what I did and save up. RMBP + TBD is an unreal setup.

5. 537635 macrumors 6502

Agreed. rMBP + TBD is a great setup.

Although you might need an external keyboard and mouse, depending on your setup. I prefer to have TBD as my primary display and rMBP on an mStand on my right.

6. miralize macrumors member

I also agree. I love this setup, 2 cables connected to my rMBP and I have a powerhouse with a big-ass monitor!

7. Hedoh macrumors newbie

Hedoh

8. chaseychasem macrumors regular

Forgive me for asking this in another thread, but I'm in a bit of a jam: can anybody comment on font crispness when an MBP/cMBP is connected to a Cinema or TB display? I recently acquired an HP ZR2440w but have found that the antiglare coating is interacting with OS X font rendering to produce eyestrain, or at least the fonts are readable but just fuzzy enough to become annoying after more than a few minutes. I'd forsworn the Apple displays because of the glossiness (fingers crossed for potential refresh later this month) but would prefer anything to this text in front of me.

9. intermedial macrumors newbie

Another rMBP+TBD owner here.

Save up.

You'll love it. Especially if you make future investments in Thunderbolt storage solutions.

You'll definitely want to invest in a Rain Design mStand to complete your desktop, though =)

10. chaseychasem macrumors regular

So the font rendering is crisp?

I have a BookArc for clamshell. ;-) Sitting empty now that the HP monitor is on its way back to Newegg. Beginning to wonder whether third-party antiglare monitors will always conspire with OS X font rendering to make for a bonanza of blurriness.