Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lbeck

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 5, 2009
Saw this new monitor, seems like a good alternative to an apple monitor if you like 24" dual monitors. I certainly do and would not like to spend $750 for the older 24" Apple Cinema display. Does anyone have this monitor or know if its any good? Any issues with running it on the new mac pro hexacore?

http://www.cinemaview.com/product/cinemaview-24-display

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
I really considered buying this monitor before eventually going with a 16:10 27" monitor for cheap. I like the looks of it, and wrote the company a few times before eventually going with the monitor I have now. There is a thread on this monitor, but you'll have to Mroogle it, because I can't remember it. Somebody here bought it, and it seems to be a very good (but not IPS :() monitor, if you're okay with a 16:9 viewing ratio. For the price, it's a great deal.

fensterbme

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
Columbus, OH
Clearly the person who buys this is interested in having something 'look' Apple... if this is the most important thing for someone, I feel sorry for them. I can't imagine a reason someone would spend big bucks on a fantastic Mac Pro then get a few knock off monitors mostly because they look 'Apple'.

If you don't want to pay for the now discontinued 24" ACD, then buy another 3rd party quality monitor. Not some cheap craptastic TN display... Hint when looking at a monitor if they don't disclose many technical specs or the panel type, your probably not looking at a quality display.

If your involved in the creative industry and care anything about how color accurate your monitor is you should run, not walk away from TN displays.

For me, even the ACD displays aren't good enough... while they look real spiffy the glossy screen kills it for me (I'm also not a huge fan of the 27" instead preferring the taller 30"), so I purchased the 30" NEC which includes it's own calibration unit.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
400 bucks for a 24" TN panel with 1920x1080 resolution? :eek:

I hoist up the scam flag!
For that amount of money you can get a IPS or PVA panel with the same, if not higher resolution, which give you a MUCH better image quality.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
After more research, found out that the monitor uses a S-MVA panel. I don't really know much about this panel...anybody with knowledge of this panel care to elaborate? It seems like a step between a TN and IPS panel to me.

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
After more research, found out that the monitor uses a S-MVA panel. I don't really know much about this panel...anybody with knowledge of this panel care to elaborate? It seems like a step between a TN and IPS panel to me.

Certainly better than TN, still not comparable with IPS, especially in terms of viewing angles (which become quite important on a screen that size), which still makes it way overpriced compared to other displays.

Just for the record, where did you find the information about the MVA panel? All I could find (quick search though) listed TN for this specific display.

milbournosphere

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
San Diego, CA
Just for the record, where did you find the information about the MVA panel?
From the horse's mouth. As said before, I emailed them a couple of times before going with another monitor. I initially had no idea which type of panel they used, so I asked. Here is the text of the reply email:
Ryan,

The CV24A uses an 8th generation hybrid S-MVA panel. If you require the additional viewing angle consistency found in an IPS panel, we advise you to pay the extra oney to purchase the excellent Apple 24 LED display. We find that most users, however, do not require those expensive benefits.

As far as the aspect ratio, we feel that 16:9 represents the market shift for the next few years and have no plans to push for anything different.
I was bummed about their love for the 16:9 aspect ratio :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.