Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Hi guys,

here's my review of the latest version of this media player.

REVIEW: Multimedia player CineXPlayer(HD) receives major upgrade: SuperSharp sharpening, MKV hardware playback etc.

So far, I haven't recommended CineXPlayerHD ($3.99; AppStore link) over the best players (It's Playing, GoodPlayer, AVPlayer (HD), ProPlayer, BUZZ Player etc.) in AppStore as it didn't have much to write home about: it had both poor-to-average features and video decoders in no way so good as those of the best iOS players.

The update list of the recently-released major version (3.0) bump promises indeed a lot, sharpening being the best (and, on iOS, currently absolutely unique) of them. The MKV hardware playback is also a welcome piece of news.

Here's the AppStore update list:

and that of the built-in, pretty extensive help screen of the app:

(Note that, as you can see in the first screenshot, Gplayer and Video Downloader [Pro] - Download & Play Any Video has also dropped AC-3 support in the last week. The most recent version of RushPlayer+, on the other hand, didn't. As usual, click the thumbnails for the original-sized versions.)

Unfortunately, the app doesn't really deliver, particularly if you're on a Retina-screen iPad 3/4 and not on an XGA-resolution one (iPad 1/2/Mini): it doesn't make use of the screen resolution when doing non-iOS-native (non-MP4/M4V/MOV) playback. This means you won't be able to make much use of the (otherwise, indeed excellent) picture sharpening DSP on your hi-res iPad. A screenshot showing this, with the halved screen to also show the effects of sharpening of the resolution chart (original file for you to test):

And even if you can live with the lack of Retina iPad support (because, say, you have a non-Retina model), the hardware-assisted MKV playback is definitely slower than on the top MKV players: HD Player Pro, AVPlayer(HD) (if you do have it) or the forthcoming, 3.7 version of “It's Playing”.

All in all, I (still) don't really recommend this player if you plan to play back MKV's and/or have an iPad 3/4. iOS native video playback is better but, again, then, you won't be able to make use of the sharpening unless you do what's hinted on in the docs; that is, rename the files to AVI's. Then, however, the playback will suffer from the same stuttering as with playing back MKV's.

A pros/cons list:

The good:
- sharpening is very effective and doesn't cause any runtime playback hit (albeit see cons too)
- HW MKV playback (albeit see cons too)
- Web browser in Portrait mode, which is pretty much unique. An example:

(BTW, this shot also shows the DTS audio in this video (the standard Monsters benchmark video) couldn't be decoded either - see the "Audio format not supported" label in the top right. Also check out how pixelizated the video is because of the lack of Retina support.)
- AC-3 support is official, meaning it surely won't be removed
- excellent tagging and media info lookup capabilities

The bad:

- during non-iOS-native playback, no support for the iPad 3/4 Retina screen – a dealbreaker
- no sharpening or upscaling during playback of iOS-native files
- no DTS audio support – VERY bad!
- no support for any kind of embedded subtitles (tested with MKV and MP4 files)
- no way to switch between audio streams
- no OGG audio (Suzumiya test video), MS-MPEG4 (for example, the Big Buck Bunny AVI), M-JPEG (in camera AVI's) any kind of TS support - this title is definitely not a "play-anything-you-throw-at-it iPad movie app", as opposed to what its description states
- hangs upon encountering non-standard or unknown files (M-JPEG camera AVI's or the 4-minute restest)
- MKV playback isn't as good as that of the best players: it badly stutters
- while it does support gesture-based (single-finger left/right) rewinding / fast forwarding, it's fixed at 60 secs, which is far too much, particularly when rewinding

UPDATE (31/Oct/2012): the developer of the app has stated (his full post is at https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/16182608/ )

1, the next version fixes the lack of the iPad 3/4 Retina screen support, fixing the biggest problem with the current version (3.0 released on Oct/22/2012) of the player

2, they will license DTS as well.

Note that, as I've also mentioned in my nPlayer review, CineXPlayerHD supports displaying two subtitles at the same time. As with the recently-reviewed nPlayer and yaPlayer, it also supports subtitle repositioning - a question discussed in the article comment sections at https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16180017

Last edited:

Therealhatem

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
Thanks man , your reviews really helps me a lot . I'm still waiting for good mkv 1080 player with full control on subtitle , I like hd player but it has poor subtitle control , it's playing also needs subtitle position control , yaplayer has very good subtitle control features but can only play 720p without lag , oh god I spent a lot of money on video players :)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Thanks man , your reviews really helps me a lot . I'm still waiting for good mkv 1080 player with full control on subtitle , I like hd player but it has poor subtitle control , it's playing also needs subtitle position control , yaplayer has very good subtitle control features but can only play 720p without lag , oh god I spent a lot of money on video players :)

Where exactly do you want to position your subs to? Want to make use of the black area under / over letterboxed 16:9 or 1:2.35 videos?

(BTW, I'll send a mail to the It's Playing folks on this issue. They have been quite active at enhancing subtitle support. Will report back if they implement repositioning.)

Therealhatem

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012
Where exactly do you want to position your subs to? Want to make use of the black area under / over letterboxed 16:9 or 1:2.35 videos?

(BTW, I'll send a mail to the It's Playing folks on this issue. They have been quite active at enhancing subtitle support. Will report back if they implement repositioning.)

I hope they can make manual movable subtitles by long touch if it is not hard. my preferable position is at the lower part of the movie not the the lower part of screen as i dont like it on the black area under the movie

Last edited:

CineXPlayer

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2012
CineXPlayer developer Speaks

Good deal of detail of our App ; thankyou. Your quite right about the Retina Video of Non-Native formats. Thats a bug and was already resolved in a forth coming update. (hopefully released soon).

ipad3-supersharp-2048.PNG

DTS - sure ; but ofcourse we are the only legal movie player so we have to wait for paperworks/etc. This is due for release shortly ;-)

Your quite right we on the AC3 - we are a licensee for the Likes of Dolby (AC3/E-AC3)/DD+ etc so we won't be disappearing like the other apps that just blatantly ignore patents and licenses MICROSOFT, DTS, DOLBY, REAL just to mention a few. FFMPEG Doesn't mean free of License/Patents

also one of the readers talks about subtitle - repositioning. CineXPlayer has had that for quite some time ; with support for Dual subtitles if need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd4BiS5YtfY

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
Good deal of detail of our App ; thankyou. Your quite right about the Retina Video of Non-Native formats. Thats a bug and was already resolved in a forth coming update. (hopefully released soon).

DTS - sure ; but ofcourse we are the only legal movie player so we have to wait for paperworks/etc. This is due for release shortly ;-)

Your quite right we on the AC3 - we are a licensee for the Likes of Dolby (AC3/E-AC3)/DD+ etc so we won't be disappearing like the other apps that just blatantly ignore patents and licenses MICROSOFT, DTS, DOLBY, REAL just to mention a few. FFMPEG Doesn't mean free of License/Patents

also one of the readers talks about subtitle - repositioning. CineXPlayer has had that for quite some time ; with support for Dual subtitles if need.

Great! I'll update the review when the new version is out. (I've just added a small update section at the end linking to your post and also reiterating the info.)

Therealhatem

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2012

yes cinexplayer has great subtitle control features one of the best in that matter also adding mkv support is very important for most users like me,i hope in the future updates it can play 1080 mkv without any lag, keep up the good work.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
UPDATE (29/Nov/2012): 1, HERE, I've elaborated on the AVI playback / decoding capabilities of the player. In a nuthshell: it should be fixed as it, in addition to not being able to play back camera M-JPEG videos (tested with Canon 960IS videos), it doesn't support MS-MPEG4 videos either; for example, the well-known Big Buck Bunny one.

2, Unfortunately, there still isn't a Retina-friendly iPad version and the small-screen one is still at version 2.8.2 without, among other things, hardware MKV playback or even iPhone 5 screen support.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 7, 2011
iPhone version reviewed

Just posted a review of the just-released iPhone version.

Pros

- indeed the MKV remuxing works, unlike in previous versions. (But is only really recommended on iPhone 5's and nothing else with 1080p videos – see the “Cons” section below.)

- so does sharpening (it's another question whether it's actually worth using – after all, the oversharpened images, as always, do show the in this case well-known and absolutely natural “halo” effect.)

Cons

- Still no sign of DTS audio support. (And the less-used but still important Vorbis audio isn't supported either.)

- The MKV remuxer engine isn't at all more effective than that of the iPad version (which is, again, almost two months old). This means it's only with the iPad 4 and iPhone 5 that you'll enjoy 1080p MKV's with sensible (not absolutely low; that is, something under, say, 2-3 Mbps) bitrates. iDevices with slower CPU's will stutter as badly as the iPad version does.

- While the description of the app claims the app does support NAS streaming (as has been doing the iPad version), it doesn't seem to do so.

(More info: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16523962 )

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
Version 3.0 is now out for the iphone and supports iphone 5. This is a good solution to get a player with ac3 support for only 99 cents. The ipad version is on sale too at 2.99.

mctroki

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Paris, France
Hi

I have the last version of this app running on a mini. I have MKV files which subtitles already included in the files but they don't show with cinexplayer.

Has anyone the same issue?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.