Cingular/AT&T Users: Are you signing a contract or unlocking to use current SIM?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wangchunggti337, Sep 20, 2007.

1. wangchunggti337 macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

I'm currently 6 months into a 2 year plan with ATT and was wondering if there would be any advantages to unlocking and using my SIM as opposed to starting a new 2 year contract with an iPhone specific plan.

I would have to upgrade my plan to include data, but in the end would it be cheaper than an iPhone plan?

Also, I hear that you can start a new two year plan, get a free phone, and transfer over to an iPhone plan. Essentially getting a free phone to help pay off the iPhone.

Basically I'm wondering if I should unlock or just sign up for a new plan.

Thanks for the help :apple:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You would most likely not be eligible for that route since you are already under contract.

B

3. unity macrumors 6502a

Ditto. You CAN get the iPhone and apparently extend your contract. Without the data plan, you have an expensive iPod touch that can place calls. With it you get all the feature you really want.

But you can not re-signup for the free phone and then get the iPhone on top of that. Those who signed up and get the free or discounted phone where not under contract.

4. wangchunggti337 thread starter macrumors regular

wangchunggti337

Sounds like the free phone is out of the question, which is fine. I would have been surprised if I could pull that off.

But does it make more sense to unlock an iPhone and update my plan with data? Or just sign up for an iPhone plan?

5. unity macrumors 6502a

There is no iPhone plan, they just add the data package. The iPhone plans are the exact same for any other phone.

That means the current package for ATT at $39 is 450 minutes with rollover. What the iPhone data package adds is unlimited data and 200 SMS.

6. JPyre macrumors 6502

Why are people seriously considering this? Do you not plan on using the phone for 2 years? Or do you just feel entitled to not to have a contract, either way the iPhone isn't subsideized so it doesn't matter. Anybody that lives permanently in the US and wants to unlock their phone is just playing with fire. There's no fee, they'll just extend your current contract.

7. jjd macrumors regular

No, they will charge you a minimum of $20 a month more no matter what plan you are on. I have a Blackjack with a 900 minute and unlimited data plan. And they still want me to pay $20 more.

8. PDE macrumors 68020

What about those who have pre-cingular ATT plans? I have one that is great and neither Cingular nor the current ATT have been able to match my old plan. If they would, I'd add $20 for data and be legitimate, but now I just unlocked it and am using the old sim without data and wifi for data.

ANybody in the same position?

9. JPark macrumors 6502a

Nope. Not yet anyway, but I'm seriously considering it. I have an older plan that I'd like to keep and I don't really want a data plan, so I've been considering going that route. Could you answer a few questions for me? I've searched the forum but struggled to find someone who can answer definitively:

1.) Does visual voice mail work if you're on AT&T but don't have a data plan?
    2.) If you don't have a data plan, what happens when it tries to connect to the EDGE network? Is it just not able to connect, or does it connect at exorbitant rates because you don't have a plan?
    3.) Can you send text messages without a data plan?

Thanks!:eek:

10. unity macrumors 6502a

1. No visual voicemail
    2. No Edge, no data at all so no wacky charges
    3. Yes, SMS is fine

Just CALL ATT and see if you can keep your current plan if you switch if you dont mind the dat plan. The $20 data plan is well worth it in my opinion.