Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
this morning's marketplace report AT&T gain full control of cingular and decide to dump the name.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
It seemed they'd been hinting recently that this would come. It's funny how the circle winds around, isn't it?

yeah, first i subscribed to AT&T, the they changed name to cingular, now it gonna change back....:D

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
yeah, first i subscribed to AT&T, the they changed name to cingular, now it gonna change back....:D

I think I have a (small) amount of AT&T stock as well as I had the split off AT&T wireless stock. It's just funny how I keep getting, "Oh, we're spinning off," "Oh, we're merging!"

Although, to be honest, I think they would've been better off going with something like "Cingular by AT&T" and calling it Cingular and keeping the logo. I think the AT&T brandname has much poorer recognition in US cell phones than the Cingular one does. Plus that little orange guy is cuuute! :eek:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
maybe the name change will help Cingular start afresh b/c of some of their past customer service problems. Hopefully everything is worked out by June!

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
maybe the name change will help Cingular start afresh b/c of some of their past customer service problems. Hopefully everything is worked out by June!

Won't happen because AT&T Wireless was one of the worst services in the nation. It's a bad move to change the name. As much as you think they have had problems with customer service at Cingular, it's not that bad and generally pretty decent when compared to the other cellular providers. AT&T Wireless was god awful, people remember that, and won't like the name one bit.

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Actually, Cingular won't become 'AT&T Wireless', but rather simply 'AT&T.' They've confirmed that there will be no 'AT&T Wireless' or 'AT&T Mobile.' They plan to bundle everything under one banner.

This whole merger mess is convoluded. For those of you without a headache, I'll try to sum it up for you. Let's see if I get this right...

Bellsouth and SBC started Cingular.
AT&T spun off AT&T Wireless.
SBC bought AT&T and adopted their name.
Cingular bought AT&T Wireless.
AT&T Bought Bellsouth and Cingular.

It's almost like an ouroboros.

ugh.

What's next? AT&T becomes a monopoly and gets split up by the government?

Oh. Really? Ma Bell? In the Early '80s? Nevermind then.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
Won't happen because AT&T Wireless was one of the worst services in the nation. ...
People is the US don't remember what happened last week. It has been so many years since Cingular bought AT&T Wireless that, for most, any bad experiences are long forgotten. Also, most old Cingular customers came from Southwestern Bell/CellularONE and BellSouth Mobility.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I am all confused.
So based on that one list up there. SBC owns cingular because they own AT&T. Who owns Cingular. do have I that corrected. Because a while ago I though I read in the paper that SBC owned Cingular.

clevin

macrumors G3
Original poster
Aug 6, 2006
I am all confused.
So based on that one list up there. SBC owns cingular because they own AT&T. Who owns Cingular. do have I that corrected. Because a while ago I though I read in the paper that SBC owned Cingular.

SBC merged with AT&T (or bought)

SwiftLives

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2001
Charleston, SC
Even shorter version...

Cingular initially started out as a joint venture between SBC and Bellsouth.
SBC bought AT&T & took their name.
Then, Cingular was a joint venture between the New AT&T and Bellsouith.
Finally, AT&T buys Bellsouth.
AT&T is now the sole owner of Cingular.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Even shorter version...

Cingular initially started out as a joint venture between SBC and Bellsouth.
SBC bought AT&T & took their name.
Then, Cingular was a joint venture between the New AT&T and Bellsouith.
Finally, AT&T buys Bellsouth.
AT&T is now the sole owner of Cingular.

This version neglects the fact that AWE (AT&T Wireless) was a separate company that was merged with Cingular.

It has been rumored that a big reason SBC bought/merged with AT&T was that AT&T had kept the AT&T Wireless brand to themselves as part of the Cingular/AWE deal so today's announcement has been in the wind for a while now.

B

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Changing the Cingular brand to AT&T is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. For better or worse Cingular has more consumer brand awareness than AT&T. Consumer polls also show more of a positive feeling for Cingular as well.

weldon

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2004
Denver, CO
You forgot this part...
Craig McCaw starts McCaw cellular
AT&T buys McCaw Cellular
A&T changes name of McCaw to AT&T Wireless
AT&T Wireless merges with Cingular and adopts Cingular name

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You forgot this part...
Craig McCaw starts McCaw cellular
AT&T buys McCaw Cellular
A&T changes name of McCaw to AT&T Wireless
AT&T spins off AT&T Wireless
AT&T Wireless merges with Cingular and adopts Cingular name

Minor addition.

B

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Actually, Cingular won't become 'AT&T Wireless', but rather simply 'AT&T.' They've confirmed that there will be no 'AT&T Wireless' or 'AT&T Mobile.' They plan to bundle everything under one banner.

This whole merger mess is convoluded. For those of you without a headache, I'll try to sum it up for you. Let's see if I get this right...

It's almost like an ouroboros.

ugh.

What's next? AT&T becomes a monopoly and gets split up by the government?

Oh. Really? Ma Bell? In the Early '80s? Nevermind then.

SBC also bought PacBell and Ameritech (Indiana/Michigan/Ohio Bell)

That leaves, Bell Atlantic/Nynex, known as Verizon and Northwestern Bell, known as Qwest (?) and Cincinnati Bell as parts of the original that haven't become part of the conglomerate. The difference this time is that they all have local and long distance of their own. Is AT&T long distance still owned by the "real" AT&T?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
People is the US don't remember what happened last week. It has been so many years since Cingular bought AT&T Wireless ...
Was it really that long ago? I was thinking it was only a year and a half ago or so. I remember it, but not exactly when it happened.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Was it really that long ago? I was thinking it was only a year and a half ago or so. I remember it, but not exactly when it happened.

2+ years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AT%26T_Wireless said:
AT&T Wireless was the third largest wireless telephone carrier in the United States before merging with Cingular in October 2004.

B

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Changing the Cingular brand to AT&T is one of the worst ideas I've ever heard of. For better or worse Cingular has more consumer brand awareness than AT&T. Consumer polls also show more of a positive feeling for Cingular as well.

I agree it is a bad movie. Cingular has a much more posistive feel name wise than AT&T plus it is a hell of a lot easier to say.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
SBC also bought PacBell and Ameritech (Indiana/Michigan/Ohio Bell)

That leaves, Bell Atlantic/Nynex, known as Verizon and Northwestern Bell, known as Qwest (?) and Cincinnati Bell as parts of the original that haven't become part of the conglomerate. The difference this time is that they all have local and long distance of their own. Is AT&T long distance still owned by the "real" AT&T?
This discussion is of wireless phones, not land lines. AT&T (the former Southwestern Bell Corporation) owns AT&T long distance. Verizon was formed when Bell Atlantic, having previously swallowed NYNEX, merged with GTE. It subsequently swallowed AT&T Long Lines's largest competitor, MCI (previously known as Worldcom).

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
This discussion is of wireless phones, not land lines. AT&T (the former Southwestern Bell Corporation) owns AT&T long distance. Verizon was formed when Bell Atlantic, having previously swallowed NYNEX, merged with GTE. It subsequently swallowed AT&T Long Lines's largest competitor, MCI (previously known as Worldcom).

You forgot that PrimeCo became part of Verizon at the time of the name change.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
I have to disagree. While a name change is always confusing for customers in the beginning, having a unified name is much more powerful and in a companies best interest for the long run.

...And I'm sure AT&T plans on eliminating any confusion with a multi-million dollar advertising plan.

VicRattlehead

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2006
You forgot that PrimeCo became part of Verizon at the time of the name change.

PrimeCo was bought out by US Cellular.

around here cellular one was bought out by cingular. about 4 years ago or so at&t merged with cingular taking the cingular name. verizon bought out ameritech and voicestream was bought out by t-mobile.

personally around here at&t is much better then cingular, and my old customers will back me on that. i got out of the biz about the same time at&t was bought by cingular. i never had any problems with at&t.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.