Cingular internet card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BenHoleton, May 7, 2007.

1. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Hi there. I just got a job that will require me to use a wireless internet card for the MacBook pro they're providing me. Does anyone know of a Cingular-abled wreless card that will fit the Express 3/4 slot on the MBP?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. McCarron macrumors regular

There is a newly released card from AT&T that should work great.

Option GT Max 3.6 Express

It supports 3G where available. I'll be picking one of these up around the time the iPhone launches if there is no way to tether the iPhone for data.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How wide is AT&T's 3G? Now that Apple is so chummy with them, I really wish there was a Mac (*cough* new ultralight) that had an on-board modem. :)

5. BenHoleton thread starter macrumors regular

6. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Anyone here SUCCESSFULLY using a MBP with this new 3G Internet Card from Cingular? On their site it says the card only supports Windows. :mad:

I'm new to mobile internet... and when I get a new MBP some timw this summer, I want to do this, so I'm starting to research it now. Looks like all I need is this card (I guess?) and a Data Plan from Cingular?

Do you pretty much have to get an unlimited data plan to use fast mobile internet without worry of huge charges? About how much is this gonna run monthly? I looked on Cingular.com but the chart confused me somewhat, it said Wi-Fi Unlimited for just $19.99/month and the same unlimited access was $79.99 DataConnect. WTF is the difference?

7. scotty588 macrumors 6502

$19.99 is for non smart phones. The more expensive plan is if you want to use your phone as a modem or it could possibly be a plan for the card. you can use the $19.99 on smart phones right now but they won't let you sign up for it in the store most of the time, since they want you to pay more for the higher plan. I know if you sign up online for the media max unlimited which is $19.99 it should work fine. At least it does for my treo.

8. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

But what I don't get is that I am talking about my MacBook! Not a smartphone! I don't give a rats ass about a smart phone. I want to use one of these cards, stick it into my laptop and use high speed internet. Without having anything to do with my phone. So what do I need for that?

9. jbuckner macrumors member

jbuckner

If your wanting a data plan for your laptop you have to go with Cingular's Laptop Connect plan.

It's $59.00 a month unlimited if you have a at least a $39.00 phone plan. Other wise it's $79.00 dollars a month, if your not a Cingular customer.

10. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

Wi-Fi is exactly that a Wi-Fi connection, wherever you can find an AT&T/Cingular Wi-Fi connection, maybe any Wi-Fi connection you can browse unlimited for $19.99. Wi-Fi would be the 802.11a/b/g/n standard.

the $79.99 DataConnect plan would be taking advantage of the card you are looking for using the EDGE or 3G network to browse the internet.

11. warfa macrumors regular

How fast is 3G? My cable highSpeed internet is 12MB down speed! Can it match that? :D

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

How many miles away from your house can you use your cable internet? ;) Don't be snarky.

EDGE (2.75G) is typically in the high 100s or low 200s of kbps, i.e. slightly slower than the low end of DSL. 3G data services are typically in the 1.5-3 mbps range, or typically the low end of cable internet.

13. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Thanks!

Hmm... well if its $59 like another poster mentions for Cingular customers, that's pretty cool. I suppose... So hey if I get the laptop connect data plan for that price, then I'd be able to be online basically anywhere a Cingular cell phone would work, right? And if I choose the WiFi plan for only $19.99 a month, I still have to buy the card (?) and I can get online at Cingular wifi hotspots??