Cingular iPhone upgrade and iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by JimmyDreams, Aug 12, 2011.

1. JimmyDreams macrumors 6502

Ok...we know a new iPhone is due out pretty soon.

Does anyone know if Cingular has in the past offered a newly released iPhone model for upgrades? IOW, when the iPhone4 came out, did Cingular offer it as an upgrade immediately, or was there a lag of 6 months or so before they offered the iPhone4?

I have upgrades available and my iPhone 3GS is completely 'tarded . I could upgrade with Cingular to another 3GS for only $9.99, but that would wipe out my upgradability for a new iPhone5 (or whatever it's going to be called) when they come out. If Cingular has a history of waiting on new models for upgrade, they may not offer the iPhone5 for 6 months or more...in which case I'd wind up paying full price for an iPhone5.

In the past, I've just bought my iPhone from an Apple store and activated it at a Cingular store....but I'd rather not pay full price if I can avoid it.

Suggestions?

2. JimmyDreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow...no one? Really?

No one tried to upgrade to a new iPhone 4 the day they came out through Cingular? No one can say whether the new phones were immediately available or if they were told only the 'old' phones were available for upgrade.

Wow.

:confused:

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Wasn't Cingular changed to AT&T like... a while ago?

4. shstiger2009 macrumors 6502

More than 5 years ago.......lol.

5. JimmyDreams thread starter macrumors 6502

I pay my bills on-line. I don't pay attention to exactly what they're calling themselves.

:cool:

----------

You're right. But that doesn't change the nature of my question.....

6. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

They allowed people who were on the 3g who bought it the first month to buy the 3gs the day it came out with an upgrade as as well for the 3gs->4, but that doesn't mean that will happen here and they aren't gana do it for a phone you just bought.

7. phillyphill macrumors 6502

phillyphill

Get a go phone and use that for temp usage until the iPhone comes out. just in case you buy it too soon and they don't honor the time frame period that they normally do. You can get a cheap go phone for $10. or look on Craigslist for an old junk att phone.

8. swerle macrumors newbie

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There is no Cingular any more, have you been living under a rock?
    I figured after 5-6 years people will notice its AT&T and maybe by looking on the top left corner of their cellphone where it clearly does no display cingular:D
    Anyway about upgrades and subsidies you will have to call them to get details. It varies per account, length of contract, average bill amount per month etc...

10. JimmyDreams thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I'm not too concerned about using my upgrade with AT&T. I'm mostly wondering if they have, in the past, offered newly-released iPhones as an upgrade at some discounted price. I have a 3GS and will be upgrading to the new iPhone5 (?) when it comes out (hopefully) next month, and don't want to pay top dollar from the Apple store if I could have gotten one from AT&T at a discount price as an 'upgrade'. :p

No, I don't live under a rock. When my bank notifies me of a bill, I click "PAY IT" and I move on. So please forgive me if I don't pay much attention to the never-ending business mergers or who is being called what today. My cell phone bill is my cell phone bill, nothing more. As for looking at my phone....I never bother to even do THAT unless it's not working for some reason....then I only look at the bars. :rolleyes:

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Lol :D
    Yeah ok.