Cingular or Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sully677, Sep 24, 2007.

1. sully677 macrumors newbie

I currently have Verizon in Nashville, TN and want an iphone. Verizon works great while Cingular I heard is average. How does Cingular compare?

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Completely depends on where you leave and work. Go to the ATT Site (Cingular) and check the coverage map for your usage area. If "best" then you will be in good shape.

3. lauderdalehawk4 macrumors newbie

I would also say check your coverage area, but some other things that separate Verizon from Cingular (At&T) is rollover which allows you to keep your unused minutes. Verizon operates on a CDMA network while Cingular uses the GSM network so the phones will not be compatible at all.

I think both have rate plans that are comparable so I think the big thing would be the coverage and what you personally want, if you want the iphone for now you will have to get it for at&t. Of course you can unlock it but even then you would have to use it on at&t or t-mobile since the iphone is a gsm phone.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nashville is the former headquarters of SouthCentral Bell, which was combined with Southern Bell to form BellSouth (now AT&T). Cingular (now AT&T) in Nashville was borne out of BellSouth Mobility. Nashville is one of the cities where you should expect AT&T to have unequaled coverage. An examination of the coverage maps of Verizon and AT&T shows that either wireless provider will give you excellent coverage.

5. mets1125 macrumors regular

Another thing you could do is try ATT out they give you 30 days to try the service. The only thing is you will have to pay for the days you use if you decide to cancel.

6. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Cdma

Am I missing something? Isn't Verizon CDMA only? I didn't think they had any GSM service.

Unless someone knows something I don't, AT&T or T-Mobile are your only choices.

7. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

You're correct. I think the OP was more focused on whether the signal coverage would be good enough to warrant switching to the iPhone.

8. parkds macrumors regular

I have never had an issue with At&t/Cingular in Nashville over the past few years I have been there.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

Another way to do it is to buy a gophone to try it out. I believe you can return the phone within 30 days, and you pay only for whatever the minimum minutes are (maybe $25). If you are seeking to port a number, it avoids the hassle of porting and then unporting.

10. coralsands83 macrumors newbie

You can also do the same "30 day" thing with Verizon, if you choose to get a phone from there you're unsure about concerning coverage. Cingular may give you excellent coverage in the Music City (and voted one of the "Friendliest Cities" in the US consistently), as will Verizon, but when you are looking for competent, friendly, reasonable customer service, VERIZON is far superior.

God forbid you go with Cingular and you have to call customer service. AT&T doesn't even handle their OWN customer service! They hire a cheesy outsourced company and they have very low ratings for friendliness (more important in the South, now, y'all Northerners!) -- you're not likely to be pleased, and I doubt you'll get your issue resolved without some complications. You see, that company is known (at least where I live, and I'm two hours from Nashville where a major operation is) for hiring "anybody." The word around here is "If you HAVE TO, you can always go to work for "xxxx". They'll hire anybody!"

And what company that REALLY cares about customer service would OUTSOURCE that?? Verizon does NOT do that, btw.

Fair warning.