Cingular vs T-Mobile

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by BenHoleton, May 8, 2007.

1. BenHoleton macrumors regular

Hey guys. I am on Cingular. My Blackberry 7100 just shot craps. Is it true I can just use a T-Mobile blackberry and put in my cingular SIM card? I basically need a phone to last two months until I buy an iPhone and T-Mobile blackberries are cheaper on ebay (plus my father-in-law works for them, so I might just be able to secure a free one). Thanks!

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Should be able to, assuming they're not locked in any other way. I've seen people stick Cingular/T-Mobile SIMs in each other's phones and they work fine. Never w/ a Blackberry per se, though, so YMMV.

3. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

About 99.99999% of the cell phones that are sold in the US are locked to 1 carrier. That means that a cell phone sold for tmobile wont work with cingular. the good news is that the US just made it legal for people to unlock cell phones so that you can use it with any carrier.

If the cell you are trying to use is locked, it will either ask you for some info (to unlock it) or tell you that there's an error.

You can get the cellphone unlocked. But, usually at least in the us, you need to ask the carrier that sold it to unlock it for you. T-mobile has a horrible unlocking strategy. They ask you to be their client for several months and to own the cell phone for 3 months too, then they will give you info on how to unlock it.

I love that I was able to unlock my cell phone. I go a lot to Mexico, so I just buy a prepaid card (and sim) so that I can use it while I'm over there :)

4. l4t13 macrumors regular

make sure when you buy one on ebay it says "unlocked" then pop sim in and go!