Circle of life?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ivanwi11iams, Sep 19, 2016.

1. ivanwi11iams Contributor

ivanwi11iams

It just dawned on me that after spending over $1000 on my iPhone 7 Plus (Black 128GB), either I need to spend couple hundred on wireless headphones (decent ones), or use the adapter thingy. Ugh...

The thinking of above, lead me to this. Oddly, Apple are helping the economy, smartphone and technology industry by making changes to its products. It causes manufactures to make things, and us, as consumers to buy them. In the long term, creating jobs and overall helping the economy.

Circle of life perhaps?
    Thoughts?

2. RedOrchestra Suspended

TOO heady for me ... we're simply a consumer based economy with ever-increasing personal/household debt levels ... way too many people buying on want and not on need.

3. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Circle of life? Circle of debt, for most.

4. an-other macrumors 6502

There's another option your missing: Buy a bluetooth dongle and use your existing headphones. They're smaller than a box of matches. The downside is you still have cords to deal with and untangle.

For what it's worth, I'm probably classified as an audiophile. My headphone collection includes custom molded "ear monitors." That noted, I'm glad to see the "courage" displayed by apple to remove the headphone jack. I can't wait to see the new market in lightening dacs to open up. I'm also looking forward to the new bluetooth audio standard with "hi res" streaming.

I will agree with "Woz" that bluetooth audio is "flat" or "dead" compared to wired auto currently. I look forward to what the future brings.

5. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

I appreciate the debt argument. However, if one isn't stealing and the likes to obtain new gadgets, I see no harm.
    I, for one work hard, and am into gadgets, so, I often spend a fortune on them (no contract). Of course, this isn't for everyone, as each person has different priorities. Bottom line is, my mortgage and car note get paid monthly. No debt collectors chasing me ;)

All in all, my point being, lots of people don't agree with Apple's high prices (I certainly don't), or the changes they make to devices, etc. Regardless of that, they are helping the economy in multiple ways...

6. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Great. Now that damn song's stuck in my head again. :mad:

7. daimos macrumors regular

you did not go to a restaurant to buy steak, and tip the waiter, because you got an iphone.

8. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

...miffed at your argument.

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

Actually ... Apple marketing preys on that "Got to have it" element of society.

10. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

11. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

What exactly is wrong with the adapter? Shouldn't you be used to plugging something in?

12. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

It's called manufacturing demand.

Like these...

[​IMG]

Which will surely often go lost requiring repurchase.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If you only have one pair of headphones, and you only ever plug that pair of headphones into your phone, then there's probably nothing wrong with using the adapter (except perhaps the mild inconvenience of lengthening the plug into your phone, but that's not part of this argument).

If, on the other hand, there are multiple different devices in the world which you might plug into your phone - say for example, headphones at home, speakers at your desk at work, and a PA mixing board in your band's rehearsal space - then you either need three adapters or you need to carry one with you. You certainly don't want to leave the adapter plugged into your phone when you aren't plugging in phones or a speaker (at least I don't).

14. Zenithal macrumors G3

They look more like an IUD if you squint a bit.

15. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Don't want to push this one in to PRSI, but by buying commodity electronics sold by a large corporation that intentionally shovels a large portion of it's earnings off-shore, nearly all of which were generated by selling products that were manufactured in China, made from components sourced internationally isn't having as big of an impact in the local economy as spending that same 1K in local stores selling domestically produced product would have (buying a steak from a restaurant and tipping the waiter).

16. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

...all very valid and compelling arguments. Aren't those companies that create and manufacture cases, headphones and the likes, helping the economy, in some way, too?

I wasn't trying to make this about Apple per se', more about 'change' can be a good thing, on a global scale.

17. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

Speaking of demand....

Give it time as I seen adaptor for lightning and headphone on one Y shaped cable.

Give it time and bet china will make an armored/rugged case with the connectors built into base of the case.

All manufacturers what to create demand or they go bust!

Apple and samsung seem very good at creating demand

18. OLDCODGER macrumors 6502a

Er ...

19. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

You don't always have to have the latest and greatest. I'm still quite happy with my 6 plus and probably won't upgrade until the next iPhone.

20. ivanwi11iams thread starter Contributor

ivanwi11iams

...good point.

21. elf69 macrumors 68020

elf69

I actually like some old tech as long as does job then it's still good.

as my avatar I got a 1972 austin lol