Circle w/ Slash on App??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by JeffMonty, Feb 24, 2008.

1. JeffMonty macrumors member

Hey all, I had a quick question about a symbol that I've seen a handful of times on applications that I have (both ones that came with my iMac and newly downloaded/installed ones). It's a circle with a slash in it; I just wanted to know what it meant and if there was a way to get rid of it.

Attached Files:

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

In Leopard I've noticed this happens every time I install a new application. It should go away when you restart your Mac. Or you can fix it without restarting by opening the Terminal and typing the command "killall Dock".

3. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Or you could fix it by simply logging out and logging back in after a new app is installed. This only shows up in Stacks grid view, I don't know why Apple hasn't fixed this.

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Actually, it shows up in list view as well. All in all, very annoying. As said above, you need to kill the dock. Whether that means shutting down, logging off, or using terminal.

5. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I thought that symbol meant it was an app you couldn't run, like an Intel-only app on a PowerPC Machine, or an iPhone app you have on your Mac. Not that that explains why it's showing up for you, but I believe that's typically what that means.

6. soms macrumors 6502

soms

No, its just that the app isn't refreshed. just restart your mac and it will go away.

7. solidgoldmini macrumors regular

I double-checked. It does show that symbol on apps that aren't supported by your Mac. For instance, it shows up on iPhone apps on your Mac that then give you an error about not being supported by your computer architecture if you try to run them.
    Sounds like a bug in Leopard or something, because if they're apps that work on your Mac, you really shouldn't have to restart your Mac everytime you install something to see the right icon.

8. deputy_doofy macrumors 65816

deputy_doofy

It's generally a PPC-compiled or Classic app for an Intel machine (and Intel-compiled app for PPC). Those are the only times I've seen that.

9. Makosuke macrumors 603

The answer is both--it is definitely supposed to designate an app that won't run on that particular Mac (most often a Classic app, which won't run on anything under Leopard, but also, say, an Intel-only app on a PPC Mac).

It also, as everyone is saying, definitely shows up more often than that in Leopard on Apps that have in some way changed--I think the Finder/Dock sees the half-copied app missing some of the internal files, and marks it as "broken," then forgets to mark it as un-broken once the copy completes. Or something like that.

I'm a little surprised Apple hasn't fixed this yet, but it's a very small cosmetic glitch--the apps still work fine, and as pointed out logging out and back in will fix it.

10. partaypooper95 macrumors newbie

partaypooper95

Thats Weird...

hmm..that seems typical of a broken app, but you are saying that it runs fine?does it run ok immediately after installation or do you HAVE to logout/restart before it will work?