circle with line after safe mode ?dead

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by deepdrop, May 2, 2015.

1. deepdrop macrumors newbie

I have a macbook pro running the lastest OS version (I can't give you the number because I can't get my laptop running). It was responding slowly to things like typing, opening email, etc. so I read that I should startup in safe mode which will purge some files and then see if it helped.
    Safe mode started up, asked me to select a user, and it opened up fine. I then restarted and got the circle with a line through it.
    I've now started in recovery mode and verified and repaired my Samsund SSD and it says the volume appears to be ok. FILE SYSTEM check exit code is 0.

I can't get my macbook pro beyond this point. It still won't start, just gives me the circle with a line.
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    One option it offers on recovery is to reinstall the OS. Should I try that?
    Thank you.

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

3. deepdrop thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, trim is enabled

Hi JTToft
    YES, I do have Trim enabler on. Thank you for the link. I can't figure out how to get to terminal from the recovery startup. I don't see a menu option for it on disk utility.

Can you please tell me how to get to terminal?

Thanks,

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

- It's not a menu option in Disk Utility. It's outside of that. I forget what the menu is called, possibly "Tools".

5. deepdrop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you

JTToft Thank you so much. I used the link you provided and everything is working now. I really really appreciate it.

6. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Glad to hear it.
    It pays to be a bit careful when running with TRIM Enabler. Remember to disable it before doing anything system-related (like updating OS X, resetting SMC/NVRAM and, apparently, starting in Safe Mode).

If you don't mind, which Samsung SSD do you have?

7. deepdrop thread starter macrumors newbie

I have the Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500 GB
    I bought it in December 2013.