Circuit bending.

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kick52, Nov 8, 2007.

1. kick52 macrumors member

Any fellow benders here?

(If you don't know what circuit bending is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circuit_bending)

My first project I did with my friend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mea3ppQ0oJg

My new one (photo attached) is a V-tech talking computer thing. It has 2 two-way glitch switches, and one pair of touch contacts which pause/glitch it (though it produces some nice effects, it can be unpredictable)

I did have a sound sample though it exceeds the upload limit (will upload a video onto youtube soon.)

Attached Files:

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I have done some circuit bending before.
    Most of the stuff doesn't last long though.
    :eek:

3. iGav macrumors G3

4. bartelby macrumors Core

One of my mates has bent and MIDI'd his Speak & Spell and his French S&S.
    I want to steal them!

5. iGav macrumors G3

When I get chance, I'll drop down to the storage depo and take a picture of my bent Speak & Spell and Zoom 505. :D

We need a benders forum. :D

6. bartelby macrumors Core

:confused:

You mean it's not got pride of place in you home?:eek:

7. iGav macrumors G3

Most of my stuff is in a storage container in the East End, so I've only got the absolute necessities with me whilst I'm in Coventry. :(

It's really not that great, I'm a dab hand with a soldering iron, but I don't necessarily know what I'm doing as such, so it's pretty basic, and not at all as good as it could be.

I built it after I saw Björk and a Bender on either Passengers or Renegade TV Gets Dazed... I can't remember which, though I've got a feeling it was the latter. He was really good though, and Björk was matching him note for note. :eek:

8. bartelby macrumors Core

Dear god man!!

I didn't realise you were back there!

Nothing serious I hope.

9. iGav macrumors G3

Been back here for a couple of years, commuting to London much of the time.

Kind of. It has been going on since May '05... hopefully it will be sorted by mid next year.

Anyway, I'm trying to find the name of that bender, pretty certain it was on Renegade TV Gets Dazed, I think the chap was from Israel. *strokes chin*

10. iGav macrumors G3

My memories worse than I thought, he wasn't from Israel... but from just down the road in Finland. :p

Though I'm certain this was also broadcast as part of Renegade TV Gets Dazed, but this says BBC... :confused: I can't remember if this is the exact one, or whether it's been edited... my memory isn't what it once was apparently. :(

Anyway... 3:20 onwards.

Björk - Modern Minimalists Part 1

And the second part's also interesting...

Björk - Modern Minimalists Part 2

11. kick52 thread starter macrumors member

Hopefully I'll go into town at the weekend and get an old console to bend up.
    Also those V-Tech Video Painters look really nice..

I recently bought a keyboard, an answering machine (one which digitally records.. I'll see if it's bendable), and another speaking thing, but with a mouse. The speaking thing looks really good to bend, though it has those F**KING ANNOYING BLACK BLOB chips, so there is no way to glitch it (there are pitch bends though) without interrupting the little wire strips on the circuit (which is nearly impossible due to their size and proximity)

Anyway a few links:

I'd love to do this:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=oAd_dQFUM4Q

--The best circuit bending link you will find on teh internetz: (Check daily.)
    http://youtube.com/results?search_t...&search_category=0&search=Search&v=&uploaded=

The V-Tech video painter:
    http://www.getlofi.com/gallery/view_album.php?set_albumName=vtechvideo

12. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I got into circuit bending about 7 years ago. I ended up making this Atari2600/toy keyboard hybrid synth. And little gadgets that just made crazy noises. I have a picture of it somewhere...

13. kick52 thread starter macrumors member

14. kick52 thread starter macrumors member

Anyone have any tips for soldering to the top of those cylinder capacitor things?
    I have a really nice touch contact there though it is insanely hard to solder onto it. Solder doesn't stick to it..