Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
So this morning a circuit in my house blew because too many things were running at once. My brand new iMac 5K, in Sleep mode, was plugged into a Surge Protector which was plugged into my wall, so that means it had to unexpectedly power off.

I reset the circuit, powered up my iMac, and all seems fine. I checked Disk Utility and everything seems fine after running First Aid.

My question, though, is... How can I be sure that everything is okay and nothing was harmed?

I'm a little paranoid, and this machine is brand new and maxed out, I just hope there's nothing wrong that I don't know about.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Run the Apple hardware test (press and hold d whilst powering on till you see a grey screen)

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Reset the circuit, power it up, and see if it seems fine. If you're inclined, you can open Disk Utility and run first First Aid on the disk.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I suspect the surge protector saved your iMac. There is a setting on the imac to not restart after power failure - I always set it.. then press the start button after things calm down.

musika

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
New York
I suspect the surge protector saved your iMac. There is a setting on the imac to not restart after power failure - I always set it.. then press the start button after things calm down.

Yeah I have it set that way too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.