circuit city ignorance

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by dukebound85, Oct 17, 2007.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

well i was shopping for hard drives today and i heard a rep trying to serve a customer. the customer asked "why dont you sell macs?" and the rep said "because circuit city only wants to sell computers that work"

i had to jump in and say they do and it has gotten me through 5 years of engineering coursework

he then says that "mac users only use macs since they have never used a pc before."

i said i have used pcs a TON as well as macs so i dont know what you are talking about. i should have asked him if he has ever used a mac.

i wasnt going to say anything but when i hear reps specifically spill out wrong info it irritates the hell out of me....whether it be cars, bikes, camerea or macs. one of my pet peeves

2. valdore macrumors 65816

valdore

The salesman has it backwards. People use Macs because they've used peecees and got damned tired and fed up with them.

3. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

4. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Why would any one buy a PC from them anyway.

They don't sell Macs because Apple knows they suck and will only lower their standard enough to sell them iPods.

5. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Oh well life goes on.

The guy is ignorant and makes $8.00 selling overpriced (compared to online places) electronics to primarily idiots.

6. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

Weird.

I work at Circuit City, and out of the 20 or so salespeople, about 6 of us are macintosh users. My coworker loves them so much, he has a MPB and a MB. We're actually upset that we stopped carrying Apple *AGAIN*. You have to realize that some people inherently loathe macintoshes for whatever reason. It's like racism..crazy stuff.

7. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

Isn't that the truth. And like racists, they can't be reasoned with. You just have to feel sorry for them and move on.

8. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Same old nonsense, different store. None of the Big Box stores impress me. But, you have to buy the things you need from someplace.

Pest Buy does sell Macs, but I understand it has the same problem that plagued Comp USA: Zero-knowledge sales people, or sales people that actually say such inspiring things as "I don't recommend macs. You want a PC, with windows, because that's what everyone is using."

One of the smartest moves Apple has ever done, is to operate their own retail stores. (My own opinion)

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Big box stores are meant for the less informed members of society, and as such, they(and their wage scale) attract less informed employees (ironic, seeing as how ignorance usually is cured with wisdom, not more ignorance:rolleyes:). The funny thing is, those who have basic needs and just want a computer for web surfing and family photo sharing are much better served by a Mac.

10. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Good lord what a rude employee. I'd get his *** fired and maybe some free stuff out of it as well.

11. 1020 macrumors regular

I remember going to Best Buy a couple of years ago to purchase a new keyboard. The salesperson rushed to assist me, asked what kind of PC I had - I said a mac. He told me they didn't sell keyboards for macs, turned around and left. :rolleyes:

12. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Oh My Gosh! You're thinking logically!! No way you could work at Pest Buy or Circuit City. You're right though, the iMac is arguably the perfect consumer machine for the purposes you mention.

1020, that's a typical experience. I doubt the situation has improved any since they started selling Macs. Anyone have any direct experience with Pest Buy's Apple department?

13. opticalserenity macrumors 6502a

I can promise you as a former employee of circuit city, it's not every employee that believes that. In fact, I was a manager and would have never let a store employee make a comment like that. That, and it's a violation of company policy.

We had employees who would tell people "Don't buy Acer, they're junk" and I'd try to explain to the sales associates that it wasn't their job to make statements like that, it was their job to help the customer decide which to buy based on their needs.

It's a matter of training, and I've seen it in not just the retail environment, but in every aspect of life. Where people are involved, you will find ignorance.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

No offense, but I'd like to know if something I was about to spend a few hundred dollars on was junk....

15. Xanis macrumors member

I think anyone would want to know that. The point is that the comment about Acers being junk was the sales associate's OPINION, not a fact. It wasn't the sales associate's place to give his opinion on the product. His job is to provide customers with the facts and figures and let them make a decision on their own.

16. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Ah, the intelligence of the modern day PC Redneck.

Give them some finicky hardware to install, and get them out of your hair for the rest of the day.

17. shecky Guest

shecky

an associate at a big box electronics retailer did not know what he was talking about?

shocking!!!!!

the only thing sales people at these stores are good for is to grab a box up on a shelf and bring it to my car; and to try and sell me a warranty. i do not know why anyone would ever ask them anything; when everything you need to know about anything electronic is on the internet already.

18. eric55lv Guest

eric55lv

they should get fired some guy said that mac sucked in front of a apple store everyone rushed ot of the store and beat him up and i kicked him while he was down

19. d_and_n5000 macrumors 6502a

d_and_n5000

What?

Besides the fact that your entire post was rather nonsensical(can you say runon?), its content is kind of, shall we say, immature, both on your's and everybody else's part. Beating up a guy because he has a negative opinion about a particular brand of hardware and software? It doesn't sound like its the most refined thing you have ever done.

20. dukebound85 thread starter macrumors P6

dukebound85

i say they need to stop asking if i need help. i know where they are if i do have a question ugh. by the time i go to the store, i have researched the product enough to know what i want and why and dont need to be "sold" on it by someone who has no ffing clue what he's talking about

21. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

You know, it's people like that that keep me coming back, I like it when the sales representative gives me his honest opinion (Acer's are all just really junk). I used to be big in gaming and I would get a new game every once in a while, it was a hard decision. The people who worked there were awesome! There were a few occasions where I though I would try out a new game and took it to the front and they would question if I have ever played the game before. Then they would tell me that it sucked and the reasons why and they would point me to another game that is much better... It's in it for the consumer... seriously. A company won't really know they are crap if they keep selling stuff. I try to avoid those kind of companies in the first place, so that is all said and done, I usually do my research...

22. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Reminds me of the last time I went to an Apple store.
    A young women was helping her elderly father pick out a computer, and the salesman was talking about the great features of an iMac when he said "However, I suggest waiting for about a week because that's when Leopard comes out." The man responded with "Do I need that?"

Instead of telling him "yes, you need it right now or your computer won't work anymore" Which he could have easily done, he said "Well, no you don't need it, but if you do decide to buy the computer now..." And proceeded to tell him about the $9.99 upgrade. I admire that kind of honesty in sales people.

23. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Ah, the beauty of non-commissioned sales

24. samuraikiss macrumors regular

Please remember that there are Best Buy and Circuit City employess on these forums too. (I'm one of the former.) I'll admit that most of my coworkers are ignorant, but please remember that sometimes your friendly salesperson is just a college student trying to pay for textbooks. I try to give customers my honest opinion and good advice, but I'm still human.

25. Ariez macrumors regular

Didnt circuit city sell macbooks before? Or was that bestbuy?