Circuit City Warranty problems and need to vent!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikeypizano, Apr 17, 2008.

1. mikeypizano macrumors member

I am not a Mac user yet and this is my first post so I figured I would make it a good one! I don't know when I will be getting my Mac though.

I have to vent because I am getting the short end of the stick for the past 3 months with these people. I got an iPaq HX2495b (I know, its a Windows PDA...) from a friend in a trade. When I got it from her, she had purchased the Circuit City warranty plan.

So, awhile ago it decided that its going to malfunction on me. So I wait a little while to see if it gets better. I am having a problem where at random the up/down buttons would insert a double press.

I call up my friend and she mails me the warranty information. I go up to the store and I get told that I need to call it in since they don't do this in the store. I call up and they tell me that they can't do anything since its still under warranty from HP. I contact them and its not under warranty from them and it expired a few weeks ago.

I wait about 2 weeks and call up City Assure again. They are the ones who do the warranty for Circuit City. They tell me that I need to wait and have the warranty transferred to me. Pretty much my friend has to fax them the unit information and "I am transferring the warranty to Mikey Pizano" on a piece of paper.

She doesn't have a fax machine so she has to mail them it instead. She is in the same state so we figure it shouldn't take that long right? WRONG! I wait 4 weeks and call them again. I am told they never got the letter and have her mail a new one. Okay so she mails the new letter and they get it within a week.

So that took over a month for just the transfer. So now they send me a box with UPS. I get the box, pack it up and send it out. About 2 weeks later I get the iPaq back. Guess what? Its not fixed! They didn't even TRY to fix it!

Then the next few days I get a call from CyberTech, the people doing the "repair" work for City Assure. They tell me that its a corrupted file on the unit that is not being cleared after a hard reset and that I need to let the battery fully drain and hard reset again. I then explain to the guy that the WM5 devices use a persistent memory and this won't work. He says it will so I just left the battery out for 24 hours. I wait another week for that box.

They call back in 2 days and I tell them that yes, it is still doing it. He says a box is being shipped out. I get the box after about a week and send it out the second time. So now we are 8 weeks into the torture. I then get another call on Monday. Now this is where it gets good.

They tell me that its my fault and I am holding down the button too long sometimes and that makes it repeat. Now, this is not my first PDA and I know a lot about them and can tell what the problem is and how to fix it. Its the button sensors starting to die.

Now, they said that they are sending it back to me. This means that I should have gotten it Wednesday since it was 2 day shipping on the 3 boxes. Well now I am starting to think they lost the iPaq and I will contact them if I don't get within a week.

The weird thing is that the tracking number I have from City Assure is turning up sort of blank. It says that they sent an order for a box on March 23, 2008 and they they never got the iPaq. This means that I didn't get a tracking number for the box. I have no clue where the thing is.

Now, compared to Best Buy this warranty is horrible. Best Buy took to weeks to replace the main board in my TV and it came back flawlessly. The VGA port would only display pink screen.

I think that I will be buying a lot less stuff at Circuit City and I will not buy a warranty that is for sure! Thanks for reading this long post and I look forward to your comments.

2. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

Sorry to hear about your troubles, this is exactly why I do not trust stores and their "warranties." Everytime I buy an electronic device and get asked if I want their warranty, I say NO.

3. mikeypizano thread starter macrumors member

Neither do I for the most part. I got this in a trade so I technically didn't buy the warranty.

4. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

5. mikeypizano thread starter macrumors member

6. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

Yeah dude, we dont do it in the store (CC employee here)

Our warranties are actually done through a company called Assurant IIRC.

Assurant really sucks. Trust me. I worked for RadioShack, and they also did their warranties through Assurant, and I had nothing but people yelling and screaming at me about it. :(

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble dude.

The only CE company that has their warranties not contracted out is Best Buy as far as I know. I like BBs warranty. I bought it on my headphones, they broke twice so far, went back, got new ones every time. :D

7. mikeypizano thread starter macrumors member

So can I blame you then? :D

I won't know if UPS comes today until about 6 to 7PM since they rarely come before that time.

8. CKMac macrumors newbie

I actually work with Circuit City and would recommend writing to the company at this email address: consumer_affairs@circuitcity.com. They are very responsive and would be happy to help you with your concern. Good luck!

9. mikeypizano thread starter macrumors member

Well I am going to wait until I get it back first then I will call again saying I messed with the settings to set the repeat rate and speed until first repeat as low as possible and its still doing.

Edit: Just got the thing back and now the papers in the box say that the thing isn't covered since I attempted repair or had someone else do it. I will wait and see if they call me first but I am really mad now.

10. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

One more vote for BestBuy's warranty processing. The last time I called, I did not wait on hold at all and got to talk to a knowledgeable person right away. Then, I was able to go to a store and get a replacement without much of a hassle or having to mail anything around.

Besides, they don't charge a restocking fee for most purchases.

11. mikeypizano thread starter macrumors member

update:
    I just got off the live chat on the website and here is the log:

> Your representative has arrived.
    Mikey Pizano: Hello
    Mikey Pizano: I am having some problems with CyberTech not fixing my iPaq
    William:
    Thank you for contacting Circuit City Advantage Chat Support, my name is William.

Could I please get the full name, address, email, and telephone number that are on the contract?
    Mikey Pizano: I am having this problem with the buttons were at random times it will repeat itself.
    Mikey Pizano: Sure
    Mikey Pizano: -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    William: I am looking up contract for you.
    Mikey Pizano: CyberTech is also claiming that the problem is me and that I attempted repair and now its not covered. This is the second time I have sent it in.
    Mikey Pizano: They also tried telling me that its a bad file on the device and a hard reset won't clear it. I have done a lot of hard resets and I can safly assume that its the sensors for the buttons going.
    William: Do you have the incident number?
    Mikey Pizano: Let me get it from my email real quick
    Mikey Pizano: 11161027 is the second one I was given
    William: Checking.
    Mikey Pizano: I have the first one also if you need it
    William: 11161027 is it. It says unit not received.
    Mikey Pizano: Yes but they did get it and they sent it back. I recieved it today and it is still doing it. It has also gotten worse as left and right are also doing it now
    William: Per notes it says: RESTORE FACTORY SETTINGS - PASS ALL TEST DONE TO UNIT - CLEAN ALL CONTACTS.
    Mikey Pizano: Yes but its still malfunctioning.
    William: Thats the first time.
    William: I am sorry about this.
    William: Its supposed to be fixed when they send it to you.
    Mikey Pizano: I sent it in the second time and now they saying its me holding the button too long. I have the settings for first repeat for as long as possible. I am also quickly tapping the buttons
    William: What would you like me to do for you?
    Mikey Pizano: What can you do?
    William: I can send it back in.
    Mikey Pizano: Could I just get ir replaced since this is the third time?
    William: Thats up to the service center.
    Mikey Pizano: Oh...
    Mikey Pizano: Also what about this "Attempted Repair" thing? I didn't open the unit and I have not sent it to anyone but CyberTest.
    William: If there is no available parts or its not cost effective to fix then they will replace it.
    William: Ok.
    Mikey Pizano: Ok.
    Mikey Pizano: I guess my only option is to send it in for a third time.
    William: Ok.
    William: What is the serial number?

What is the model number?
    Mikey Pizano: HX2495B
    Mikey Pizano: That is model
    Mikey Pizano: Serial: ---------------------------
    William: Can the service center call you anytime if necessary?
    Is this a good address for the next 14 business days?
    Mikey Pizano: Yes and yes.
    William: 11295060 is the new incident number.
    Mikey Pizano: Ok. Keep all calls before 5PM though.
    Mikey Pizano: Is that everything?
    William: "We've determined we need to replace your (insert component). You will receive a replacement of comparable specifications to your original (insert component) within 10 business days. The replacement may include shipping labels and written instructions for packing your defective unit and scheduling in-home pick up. If you do not receive shipping labels and return instructions, keep your defective (insert component) for 30 days. If someone does not contact you within 30 days, dispose of your defective unit. Please do not return any accessories from your original (insert component), including software, ink cartridges, detachable cables, product warranty guide, registration card, user manual, paper supports or print heads. Someone must be available during the day to sign for the package. The warranty provider and the service provider are not responsible for a lost package. If you fail to receive the replacement within 10 business days, you may contact the provider at (insert toll free number).You can track the status of your service on our Web site at www.cityassure.com using the incident number. Do you have any questions?"
    William: CYBER_TEST_EDI
    ------------------------
    Mikey Pizano: Ok.
    William: Thank you for choosing Circuit City Advantage Chat Support. Please return to www.cityassure.com/ra for future support needs. After you close this window, you will be directed to a brief 'Customer Survey'. We would appreciate if you took the time to complete the survey.
    William: Have a good day!
    Mikey Pizano: You too.