Circular Polarizer

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by VirtualRain, Nov 29, 2010.

1. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Just because people own L glass doesn't mean they are knowledgable about photography or photo gear. The spec sheet on that polarizer says it is not multicoated, which means a lot of reflections. I would not get this one, instead pick one up that has a multicoating to help combat reflections/glare.

Ruahrc

3. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

I would avoid Tiffen, especially if it's not multicoated. Hoya and B&W are the larger brands that produce good filters. The reason I would avoid the Tiffen is that my WA lens was serviced by a service shop specialized in Canon. After service they tried to calibrate it. They were not able to calibrate it with the Tiffen (non multicoated) filter on it. ( and no, they don't sell filters, they just service lenses and bodies).

Try maxsaver.net for affordable B&W and Hoya filters.

4. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Thanks guys... this is a great link! Good savings to be had here! :)

5. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

I got a 67mm Quantaray CPL, and more than happy with the results for the $50-60ish it cost me.

6. a.jfred macrumors 6502

Most photo nuts I know swear by Hoya for most (if not all) their filters.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

B+W and Singh Ray are the top two in my opinion. Personally, I'm a fan of B+W, but Id' take either before Lee, Heleopan or Hoya. You'll pay a premium for either of them- the glass and coatings are top-of-the-line though. The Singh Ray "Gold-N-Blue Polarizer" is interesting, but not cheap.

I don't think I'd ever put a Quantaray product on the front of my lens unless it was about to get splattered and nothing else was available. But I tend to be picky about things.

Here's an interesting test:

http://www.lenstip.com/115.4-article-Polarizing_filters_test_Results_and_summary.html

If you want the best, a multi-coated B+W is the way to go- if you're not that picky, then there are lots more options.

Paul

8. jabbott macrumors 6502

Interesting indeed -- they claim that the highest rated B+W circular polarizer they reviewed turned out to be a linear polarizer instead:

"B+W EW KSM C-POL MRC 72 mm filter got the most points and… was disqualified. It’s hard to say why a polarizer tagged with letters “c-pol” on the ring, and “circular-pol” on the box turned out to be linear. Perhaps it wouldn’t be so shocking if it hadn’t been for the fact that it was manufactured by an acknowledged company with a good reputation. Additionally it’s the most expensive in the field. Shame and scandal."

Looks like the other B+W circular polarizers did quite well however.

9. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Yep, and even with the disqualification, B+W filters were in the top three spots. Kind of sad though- I'd love ot see Schneider respond to that.

Paul

10. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Probably laughing all the way to the bank?
    I agree that B+W filters are the best, although I must admit I do have a Hoya HD filter on my 16-35 simply due to the impact resistance as I've smashed 3 filters and 4 hoods on that lens.

11. VirtualRain thread starter macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I went ahead and ordered the B+W 77mm Kaesemann MRC Circular Polarizer Filter from MaxSaver.NET for $110 (thanks for the link oblomow). I'm surprised they can do it so cheaply and include shipping. I'll report back when it arrives. :)