Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Circumstances Surrounding Lost Next Gen iPhone Detailed

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Gizmodo describes the circumstances surrounding how the next generation iPhone was lost and even names the Apple employee that lost the device. Gray Powell an Apple Software Engineer is said to have left the pre-release iPhone at Gourmet Haus Staudt, a bar in Redwood City on March 18th.

Gizmodo's source was said to be sitting next to Powell and picked up his iPhone after it was left on his bar stool.
The person who ended up with the iPhone asked around, but nobody claimed it. He thought about that young guy sitting next to him, so he and his friend stayed there for some time, waiting. Powell never came back.
The lost iPhone reportedly booted up and "seemed like a normal iPhone". It wasn't until the following morning that it had been remote wiped by Apple.

According to Daring Fireball, Gizmodo reportedly paid to obtain access to the prototype device.

Article Link: Circumstances Surrounding Lost Next Gen iPhone Detailed

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Either that dude is so fired, or this was an intentional plant of a fake device to trip people up.

Comment

theTechnician

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
They probably paid big bucks to get their hands on it...

Apparently Giz paid 10k just for the exclusive stories and the phone itself. Their servers are getting hit hard and they had to shut off commenting. I think as long as the guy still has a job, and gets to keep it, there's no real harm in naming him....

Comment

BrianMR

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2007
USA
They should have left it with the bar's lost & found. Taking it, then selling it... sounds like theft to me.

Comment

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Why would he be fired now if Gizmodo is the one who revealed his identity? Unless the guy sold it to Gizmodo or something.

Comment

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
I feel really bad for this guy but I could picture him losing an iPhone. Hopefully this doesn't end his career.

Comment

O and A

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2002
New York City
i'm sorry but that was a dick move. did they really have to name the guy who lost the phone? thats pretty messed up.

I mean obviously he let apple know he lost hte phone and he was dealing with those consequences. Now to publicly humiliate him? Thats really not neccesary. As oppose to possibly being fired from apple, gizmodo has now possibly ruined his future career.

Comment

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2008
things I do not get about this story....

Drunk guy sees an iPhone. Why would he just hand it over?

Guy he gets the phone did not notice anything unusual the next day yet there is a camera right there in front?

Gizmodo drops 10K for a phone they knew was stolen, had it for 2 weeks and ripped it apart then didn't bother to contact the Apple guy until today.

And how the hell did it get from San Jose to Redwood and back?

Comment

Dammit Cubs

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2007
Is the dude really going to get fired? I think that Gizmodo could of put unknown employee in the headlines and got away with the article.

I feel like unless gizmo do thought putting this guy in public spotlight of the losing the iPhone will protect him, this is a bone headed move.

Comment

theTechnician

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2008
I hope they do. Gizmodo certainly stepped across the line here.

I think reporting it, taking the phone getting some pictures, video and reporting on it would not have been a big deal, but paying 5, 10k for a "stolen" prototype iPhone is a big deal.

Comment

theBB

macrumors 68020
Jan 3, 2006
Either that dude is so fired, or this was an intentional plant of a fake device to trip people up.
When that ex-Apple marketing wrote about Apple's intentional leaks, he emphasized the "anonymous" nature of them, so that they could not be traced back to Apple unless the journalists or bloggers themselves revealed their sources. Of course, they don't do that, as many companies employ these controlled leaks and they would lose access to many such leaks later.

Comment

wackymacky

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2007
38°39′20″N 27°13′10″W
This is seemimg less likey to me.

A low level porgramer has access to take the phone out for the night?
He has the phone in a mock 3gs casing?,
It dons's have a pass codeon?
He doesn't go looking for his lost phone?
Who ever finds it plays with it and tries to take pictures?

It just dosn't add up.

Gizzmo only paid 5 grand for it. I'm sure it would be woth 10 times that.

Where are the details about the internals? ie what's the chip. Whats the battery mAH, part numbers on all the internals.

I can't believe you do a controled leak by leaving it in a bar. What if the "Random Drunk Guy" wandered off with it, then threw it in the bin when it wouldn't work?

I smell a scam.

Jobs is laughing his arse off right now.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.