Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brighteyedcat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 3, 2010
I just downloaded the free trial of Notebook to help organize my assignments, powerpoint slides, and class notes but am having an issue that I can't find a solution to on other forums so am hoping someone in here can help me resolve the problem.

When I drop a .pdf into a page under a heading, the .pdf is divided up into pages. This is okay for powerpoint slides, but if I have a 5 page assignment or in class handout, it looks like I have 5 assignments rather than 1 assignment with 5 pages. Does that make sense? When I click my Assignments tab, I want to only see ONE document per assignment, not 5 pages for one document. I have tried to click "just add the file" instead of annotating it and it does nothing. It won't import it at all and I get a little error sound, but no error message. Why is this? What am I doing wrong?

Please help if you can! Thank you. :)

PhotoRobLA

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2010
Hollywood, CA
The only thing that might be happening is when dropping the PDF file into the notebook, NoteBook offers a dialog box. If ‘Add for Annotation’ is selected then NoteBook will add the file placing each page of the file on a separate page of the notebook. See Help Section 6 (Page attached)

If you do want to be able to annotate the PDF file then ‘Add for Annotation’ must be selected. However, once NoteBook has split the file, then one could copy and paste each of the individual PDF pages onto a single notebook page, sequencing them one after the other. A notebook page will automatically expand to accommodate however much is added and will also automatically add a scroll bar for the page if needed.

Alternatively, if the shift key is held down when dropping the PDF file onto a page, (and depending on whether ‘Copy the file into the Notebook’ is selected under ‘Attachments’ in the Preferences Pane), then a scalable copy of the PDF file is placed on the page. It is represented by the front page of the PDF file. Dropped this way, the file cannot then be opened in NoteBook nor can it be annotated in NoteBook. However, double-clicking on the image of that PDF file’s front page will open the entire PDF file in Preview. Preview has annotation capabilities built in. Once annotated and saved, the notebook will contain the updated version of the PDF file. Using this method of annotation does not however change the original file on your computer.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• NoteBook Help 6.jpg
    NoteBook Help 6.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 125
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.