Cisco modem/router plus AirPort Extreme separated networks

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by edunon, Mar 6, 2013.

1. edunon macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a Cisco cable modem/router which is being connected to an AirPort Extreme without any problems. I disable DCHP on the Cisco and connected to the WAN port of the AirPort with an ethernet cable.

Now I have a home office with several computers, nas drive, etc and the configuration is somewhat complex to have it messed up. I share a house with another two and while I was away for the weekend one of them decided to wipe off all my AirPort Extreme configuration.

I don't wanna go throught that again so I'm looking for options to having two separate wifi networks, one for home users (Cisco) and my office (AirPort). Since I can't run a cable between them, how can I get internet connection on the AirPort from the Cisco? I don't think joining/extending the wifi from the Cisco is an option since I want two separate wifi networks.

I've somewhat managed to get it working by using a Netgear WNCE2001 to connect wirelessly to the Cisco and to the AirPort with a network cable. The AirPort is then set up to create a new wireless network, configured as DCHP only with a range different than the Cisco. Everything works fine apart form the downloading speed goes in waves, really slow. Upload speeds are fine though. If instead of the Netgear WNCE2001 I connect both routers with a network cable everything is perfectly smooth (same settings on both).

All I can think of is one of those pairs network-through-mains and hope they do the job connecting both.

Is there any other way to have two separate wifi networks sharing the same interrnet connection?

Many thanks for any help you can give.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Why can't you run a cable? The AirPort Express could be right next to the Cisco if you're accessing it wirelessly, assuming that it's within range of your office.

3. edunon thread starter macrumors newbie

Separated rooms, and can't afford another one experimenting with the AirPort and wiping off the configuration again.
    I'm ordering a set of these hoping they do the job.

4. mwhities macrumors 6502a

Why not use the guest wireless for your two others house mates? Also, password protect your AE so that can't access it.

5. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Set the Cisco up as the shared device used by the others and use the Airport as a repeater to extend the network in your office. Make the Airport wifi private so only you have access.

Not a fan of power line adapters. I've seen very few instances where I couldn't string cable to make a connection.

6. edunon thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything is working great with the network-through-main adapters. Two wireless networks with one internet connection :)